Six on Saturday | Before Hannah

Heard the first cuckoo this year on Tuesday on a walk around the hill. Also found some lovely wild wood anemones in large clumps as well as English bluebells and spring cinquefoil and pretty starry lesser stitchwort. Now those are the sort of wild native flowers that I would not object to settling in my Cornish hedge. Tempting as it is to remove some I know it is not allowed, but I did whisper that they were welcome to come to my home if they felt like a change.

This week I shall introduce you to new things in my garden – the culmination of tick boxes finally ticked off the list I had written when moving here three years ago – plus some new plants. These photos were taken in the calm before Storm Hannah arrived overnight battering the remains of my tulips.

1. A new Bistro set for the Sunset Patio which is at the rear of the garden next to the raised beds. This little patio is a perfect spot to sit in the evening and watch the sun go down along with a G&T. This picture is on the Zen Patio as I have work to do in the other area before relocating the set. We have tried it out though and it works fine ๐Ÿ™‚
    Bistro Set
  2. Whilst in the same area all the raised beds and the garden gate have been given a new lick of paint. This time a proper two coats so hopefully it will last a few years. The colour isย  Cuprinol Garden Shades ‘Seagrass’ a slightly bluer shade than the previous colour. I needed to get this done before I plant the new perennials and herbs into these beds. That’s next when I can bring myself to remove all the Forget-me-nots.
  3. Still in the same part of the garden is a new Clematis. A small one, bought on impulse last year from ASDA along with another clematis and a honeysuckle. I have wires trained on the fence here (usually has a thornless blackberry, but for some reason (the snow?) new stems didn’t form last year and those are what the current year’s fruit grow on, so no blackberries for me this year.) This particular clematis is a montana type and I hope will cover the fence eventually.
  4. Another new Clematis, this time one for the north side of the house and in a container, is the pretty Clematis koreana AMBER which was voted the winner of the coveted RHS Chelsea Plant of the Year 2016. It has soft yellow flowerheads, which sometimes have a faint pink blush to the edges of the pointed sepals although so far mine look distinctly green!
    Clematis
  5. At the back of the garden in the ‘Wild Garden’ or car park area is my new Potting Bench. I used to use an old patio table given to me by a neighbour about 8 years ago. It wasn’t in the best of condition even then and has gradually rotted away to the point where it was unusable. I had considered placing the new one in the Orangery, but for the moment it is outside where any spilled compost doesn’t matter. Slightly higher than the table this is a nice height to work with.
  6. And finally, not new, but looking splendid with its new purple growth is my lovely Hosta. Lovely now, but usually shredded by the end of the season. This year I have recently applied the first of two treatments of Nemaslugs in the hope of keeping healthier plants in the garden. Of course the snails will have to be picked off by hand, and I have been finding a lot of baby ones recently! I might try some of those wool pellets too.

Sunshine and showers this weekend with Storm Hannah passing through and the temperatures a lot cooler than they were last week, but hopefully there will be time to get out into the garden and finish off the planting that needs to be done.ย  As always, if you want a peek over other people’s garden walls then please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’ where you find links to many more wonderful garden enthusiasts from all over the world

1. One Man And His Garden Trowel says:

The purple on the new shoots of the hostas are very striking. Like the new bistro set. I’ve just ordered a solitary bistro chair for the new spot next to the green house. Took a while to decide on the colour.

Yes, the colour was a difficult decision. I almost went for a bright yellow or orange, but the subtle green won out. I like it. The old black ones will go to the front for style rather than use!

2. Pit says:

I’ve said it before, and I can only repeat myself: you have a beautiful garden, and I love it.
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Pit

Thank you Pit, I know you love this garden and I am very appreciative of your visit.

3. March Picker says:

Very lovely. I enjoy that you are showing your new plants — something I began this week as well. That yellow clematis is simply enviable!

I bought another yellow one for the same wall, but no sign of flowers as yet. I think it is a later one. I now want some yellow and cream roses for this part of the garden.

4. Loving that clematis koreana! Wow stunning colour….Iโ€™ve not seen that one before.
    I love it that we all fall for bargains at various places and have all these lovely plants from it! Brilliant.

I am hoping that the ‘Amber’ will change colour, it is still a little too green for me.

5. I am impressed that you have two patios for different times of day! Finally something I know about, ha ha, we have had two Montana clematis (in this house and the last house) and they covered our fences very quickly. We took the one here out eventually because it was threatening to overrun the neighboursโ€™ garden too. I hardly know the names of any plants but I do remember that one. It was so beautiful.

The montanas do seem to race ahead.

6. cavershamjj says:

I like the look of your yellow koreana. Also the blue bases of your hosta. I managed to avoid much S&S damage on the hostas last year, too hot for them I think. Mine are also looking lush, although those in the border are only just up.

I keep saying I need to remove this hosta from the pot and plant it, it may stand a better chance in the ground.

7. I think stitchwort might be one of my favourite wildflowers, would be lovely for your hedge. Your hosta looks amazing. We should live in this perfect moment. Hope Hannah didn’t mess things up too much for you. ๐Ÿ™‚

Stitchwort is pretty, but I don’t have any in the hedge, only Herb Robert and the other Cranesbill. I wish Stitchwort and Red Campion would take root there!

You’re a proper Percy Thrower with your potting table ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ Looks a good height though, on account of your back. The Zen area looks nice… before Hannah. Such a gentle name!

A gentle name, but very windy! I never realised how many storms we get until they started naming them.

9. You will enjoy sitting with a cup of tea on your new chairs this summer.

Wine, gin or coffee! We are not tea drinkers ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Any! Or all of the above will do. ๐Ÿ™‚

You’re invited ๐Ÿ™‚

2. I hope we get to take you up on that offer one day. Our friends Kevin and Mary Lou of Kevtoberfest fame will be in UK in a few weeks and we said they must spend some time in Cornwall.

10. Tina Schell says:

Oh dear Jude, hope Hannah didn’t damage the garden too badly. I could see a sit-down on your new set with a cuppa surrounded by the beautiful garden. Sigh, I feel more relaxed already!

Just shredded the remaining tulips Tina, I should have picked them for indoors, oh well. Time for other flowers to take their place ๐Ÿ’

1. Tina Schell says:

So sad. The storms can be brutal but they do seem to cause the strongest to come back even stronger. Enjoy the new growth!