St George’s Day – or is it?

I have always known 23rd April to be the day we English celebrate St George, our patron saint (though I personally think we should acknowledge St Edmund  the Martyr as he was at least English and once held that honour). Maybe instead of raising the red cross  of St George  instead we ought to be raising the White Dragon flag on November 20th!

According to church rules, no feast days are allowed to be marked during Easter week. If a saint’s day does end up falling during this period, it is “transferred” to the Monday after the Second Sunday of Easter.

Well I never knew that!

Native wild flowers on St Gerorge's Day

Here is my tribute to the English saint with some very English wild flowers found growing today on Trencrom Hill. A walk around the base of the hill led to the discovery of several large colonies of beautiful wood anemones (header), white with a hint of pink and gorgeous purply foliage. Now I haven’t seen those before either!

Boulders

I have been banging on about this day for years. But I gave it a miss this morning.
    Well done for mentioning it, Jude.
    Best wishes, Pete.

Love the wood anemones, Jude!

Been here three years now Sue and the first time I have seen them on the hill! So beautiful.

How wonderful is that! Always good to have new discoveries

3. Suzanne says:

I always enjoy your flower photography, Jude. Even as a non-practising Catholic I didn’t know that bit of information regarding Saint Days. Never to old to learn something new 🙂

I have never heard of it either!

4. Elizabeth says:

Lovely flowers. My grandson is George, so he claims the day for himself!

And why not! 🙂

5. bushboy says:

A bit of education and some wonderful flowers. Thanks Jude 🙂

You are most welcome Brian:)

6. We spent a few days in the western Queensland town of St George last week. The town’s name came about because the explorer Major Thomas Mitchell, on 23rd April 1864, came across a wide river with a natural bridge of stones. He named it St George’s Bridge in honour of the saint.

I love to hear how places get their names.

Always something to see if you go looking. 🙂 🙂 They’re pretty. Tavira was decorated with red plastic carnations today- 25th April celebrates the end of the Carnation Revolution- and lots of people were carrying real carnations.

8. Lucid Gypsy says:

Ahh wood anemones are lovely and now you’ve spotted them you can add them to the list of flowers to look forward to each year 🙂

I saw some on Godolphin hill a few years ago, but never on this one. And these are so much better! It is surprising what grows out in the open rather than the nearby woodland, which seems quite sterile, although I have seen some bluebells in there this year.

9. Joanne Sisco says:

This post made me look up whether Canada had a patron saint. To my surprise (although I shouldn’t have been), we do! Three of them apparently – Anne, Jean de Brébeuf, Joseph, and the North American Martyrs. Who knew?!! I feel a little bit smarter this morning because of you 😁

I am sure the knowledge will serve you well 😀

10. Cathy says:

Lovely mosaic of wild flowers, and how intriguing that you had not seen them in this spot before. The ones in our own ‘woodland’ were poorer this year, which I felt was weather related. An interesting fact about Saints’ Days, one of the lesser known Catholic rules I guess!

There are a lot of tracks around the hill and I am not sure I have walked on this particular one before, or at least not in spring. Things change so quickly on there! At the moment bluebells and anemones, next month it will be foxgloves!

1. Cathy says:

Lovely local walks fir you, Jude