Six on Saturday | Easter Edition

Miracles DO happen. It is a long weekend and the sun is shining. There will be no beach visits by me though as I have things to do in the garden. So far I have managed to re-pot all the Fuchsias that I bought last year so they can now be moved into the courtyard and hopefully grow and be amazing! I have cut back the Fatsia Japonica which was threatening to shadow the whole of my patio and thinned out the Bamboo to allow light to reach the under-planting: Aquilegia and Ophiopogon nigra, a grass-like plant with low-growing tufts of very dark purple blades, that actually appear to be black. In fact I should try and remove some of that for elsewhere in the garden. Next job is to repaint the raised beds before putting in my new herbs and perennials.

1. New plants bought this week include this pretty Kangaroo Paw or Anigozanthos – a pretty red one which reveals green with yellow stamens when the furry buds open. Why is is called Kangaroo Paw? Because it has tubular, curved and densely hairy flowers that look rather like the paws of a kangaroo! Native to Western Australia. This will go outdoors onto the patio for the summer, but back into the Orangery for the winter months. I just need to buy a nice new pot for it.
    Kangaroo Paw
  2. Three new plants have been bought for the Belfast sink – my little Alpine trough – two Pulsatilla or Pasque flowers and one Lewisia which is apparently frost hardy, though dislikes wet intensely, so that might need to be brought indoors over winter too. I have kept the succulents in their pots for easy removal and replanted the Fuchsia microphylla ‘Cornish Pixie’ in the garden and the Erigeron karvinskianus in the Cornish hedge.
  3. Talking of the Cornish hedge, when I went to check on the cuttings of Erigeron glaucus I had planted in the wall I found them on the floor. All had been pulled out of the soil. I don’t know whether by birds or rabbits, but all the primroses I planted there have been eaten. I have now planted several Campanulas and Persicaria in the wall and put lots of ‘pea sticks’ in! So far so good…
  4. Time for more tulips. The third new one grown this year is ‘Apricot Foxx’. Yes I know I have mentioned her before, but now I think I have the right one! More apricot in colour (golden yellow) than ‘Apricot Beauty’ which is salmon pink, it does look lovely in the sunlight.
  5. And the fourth tulip in that collection is ‘La Belle Epoque’ a stunning blend of apricot-pink and coffee petals which lasts for ages. Well, maybe not in my garden. She is a double late flowering tulip sort of like a peony and not recommended for windy sites with her heavy head. I should have read that before buying her! Still she’s a pretty colour and fades nicely with the texture of old silk. I expected ‘late flowering‘ to mean May. Looks like my tulips will be finished long before then.
  6. I think this is Geranium (Cinereum Group) but someone may be able to be more accurate with the ID.  A dwarf hardy geranium with deeply cut leaves, this is growing in a tiny crack along a stone ledge in the patio. First time flowering.
    Dwarg Geranium

Oh, and the first sighting yesterday of ‘Batty’. A Greater Horseshoe bat (I believe) that frequents our courtyard in the summer. Lovely to have him/her back again. Now we await the arrival of the Swifts.

As always, if you want a peek over other people’s garden walls then please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’ where you find links to many more wonderful garden enthusiasts from all over the world

It all looks great, Jude. I had never heard of Kangeroo Paw, but I like it. 🙂
    Best wishes, Pete.

The Kangaroo Paw look lovely en masse. They grow loads of them at the Eden Project in the Mediterranean Biome.

1. I almost bought a white one this week having seen them in the Temperate house at Kew gardens. Your red though is much more of a statement though. I also love your foxy tulips – thanks for sharing Jude and Happy Easter

I didn’t know they came in white!

2. Lovely photos and nice idea keeping the succulents in the pot to remove them.

Thanks! I also like Jon’s sempervivums in the box idea. Might have to copy that one 🙂

3. fredgardener says:

My Lewisia spent the winter without problems outside, in the ground. Antoher thing : I’m a bit jealous now of your kangaroo paw … I discovered this plant recently and it is even bookmarked in my iphone .. and you bought it … lucky you! I will follow closely how you care for it

4. susurrus says:

I love the Kangaroo Paw and the sink/trough looks great.

5. Elizabeth says:

I love sitting outside in the summer evening and watching the bats swoop in to eat the mosquitos.

We don’t have mosquitos fortunately, but plenty of midges!

1. Elizabeth says:

Do they also bite? Do the bats swoop in for them?

6. What a lovely Easter weekend of plants! Your Cornish wall is going to look so lovely when established – once local residents have decided what they want to grow! Enjoy the gorgeous weather, Jude!

7. I’m so pleased to see your kangaroo paw. I hope it gives you much pleasure.

8. Sandra says:

I love La Belle Epoque; she is stunning. Definitely worthwhile even if she doesn’t stay for long. The tiny geranium looks likely to be in flower for a good while though. I’m sure Batty was a welcome sight. No bats here yet that I’ve noticed, and still no swallows. They’re late this year.

9. Cathy says:

Good to see and read what you are getting up to, Jude. What a shame your Cornish hedge does not please everybody! I do like your little sink, which reminds me that have still not found a home for the little one I displaced…

10. Looks idyllic Jude – gather you have been having a heatwave! Funny that we are wearing jumpers and saying how chilly it is when it is about 22 degrees! It was cold at the end of last week though, 7 degrees and rainy at the footy – had to light the wood fire when we got home and thaw out with hot drinks. Hope the sun continues – we are arriving in the Uk on Wednesday!

Not sure you’d call it a heatwave in the south-west! Practically surrounded by water our temps probably only reached 19 degrees. Plenty warm enough for me though 😀 Unfortunately for you the weather is on the turn by Wednesday!

1. Yes gather it’s getting colder and wetter! Waiting to board our flight now out of Perth – have packed for all weathers! Hope you can enjoy some sunshine for a few more days! 😃