Six on Saturday | Hello April

April already and I am definitely loving the longer daylight hours. I have been busy taking delivery of several perennial plant orders placed over the last few months. Each one not much more than lunch out, but when totalling up the amount spent already I was astonished at how much it added up to. Shhh… don’t tell the OH. I blame this meme for that. Too many lovely gardens (and gardeners) enticing me to add plants to my wish list even though I have a plan. Doesn’t everyone?  Still spending money on flowers and not lunches is probably better for my waistline.

Anyway, here’s what’s going on in my garden this week, though the freezing temperatures and hailstones have had an effect on the poor spring bulbs.

1. My Cornish hedge. Not wall. Not hedgerow. A Cornish hedge is a true living wall and mine is blighted somewhat by the unruly brambles and weeds behind the fence in the farmyard. I have let it be since moving in three years ago this month, but this year I feel it is time to do something about it. I picture primroses and daffodils and muscari flowering during the spring and I want to plant an Escallonia hedge on top when I can buy bareroot plants. Meantime I am busy removing the perennial weeds, the nettles, the brambles and the coarse grass. Not an easy task as I can’t stand on the top to dig down with a shovel. When cleared I shall attempt to grow a few rockery type perennials such as Campanula and also scatter some wild flower seeds when the soil is warmer. Those creeping buttercups in the gravel are difficult to dig out too!
  2. Because I am concentrating on this part of the garden AND the north-facing courtyard which has to be container grown plants, I have had to purchase new plants. All hardy perennials, including a few new herbs for my herb garden and some rockery plants for #1.
    Twenty pots don’t look much when you see them all together like this. The pots with gravel contain some new summer bulbs. I have had such enjoyment from spring bulbs I figured it was time to try some summer ones. All will be revealed when and if they emerge!
  3. One of my regular visitors to the garden is Willy Wagtail – a pied wagtail. He sometimes arrives with a friend or two and they bob around the ground looking for cast out seeds and chasing the chaffinches and sparrows away! I love his pretty face.
  4. A bargain buy from last year were a couple of purple osteospermum from ASDA. They were cheaper (and bigger) than the three super plug plants I bought from T&M only one of which has survived the winter, the other two dying almost immediately. I have just received three replacement plants so we shall see what happens to them. The ASDA ones, meanwhile, have been flowering since purchase!
  5. It’s April and tulip time. I am a huge tulip fan and love to have a few pots in the garden at this time of year. I never cut them, preferring to see them with the early morning sun or late evening sun turning them into glowing jewel-like goblets. First is ‘Cairo’ (or is it?) which I showed you a couple of weeks ago, but mistook it for ‘Apricot Foxx’. Cairo is a Triumph tulip and scented with an  orange interior and a golden brown exterior. Mine are much more of an orange colour with hints of red,  and looks more like ‘Brown Sugar’ which I have grown before. It is rather lovely whatever it is called and it is scented.
  6. And the other new tulip, now in flower is ‘Ronaldo‘. Also a Triumph and a deep reddish-purple colour. A rather handsome chap I think and at least I am confident that the name is correct! I am wondering what has happened to ‘Apricot Fox’ now or indeed whether Cairo is in fact Cairo! We will have to wait another week I think to see what else emerges from these pots.

As always if you want to have a nosy around other gardens where there is bound to be something to tempt you, then please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’ where you find links to many more wonderful garden enthusiasts from all over the world. Out of curiosity, do you ever add up what you spend on your garden each season?

1. Tina Schell says:

You are definitely the queen of the garden Jude! I’d love to share in the bounty of your herb garden and agree the stately tulip is a marvelous bloom. One day I’d love to visit Holland to see the tulip fields. On my bucket list

That’s one place I’d love to visit too.

2. janesmudgeegarden says:

I have never added up how much I spend on the garden, but I’m sure I would be shocked if I did. Your new plants look very interesting. Osteospermums go mad here, but then sometimes start to die off and look very patchy. I’ve one the same colour as yours though that is so prolific I have to attack it with the hedge clippers.
    We also have a bird called Willy Wagtail, which is very cute too. I long for one to nest in my garden.

I think I shall shear one of my osteos as they produce smaller and smaller flowers as they get older.

3. I love the intentionality of your gardening, and those tulips are superb – a tulip by any name is still beautiful.

They are. And I don’t mind if it is an impostor as it looks and smells lovely.

4. March Picker says:

I’m reading this after having posted this week about plenty of purchases of my own — and definitely relating to your savvy purchases, Jude. ‘Tis the season! The pied wagtail is a fellow of contrasts, isn’t he? Not ones we have here. I commiserate about that dreaded creeping buttercup. Good thing you have all those lovely tulips to soothe you.

5. They are twenty pots of ‘hope’.. North shady areas are a challenge.

Twenty pots that hopefully will grow and spread and fill in all the gaps in a couple of years! Yes, the courtyard is a challenge, not only no direct sun at all, but also can get quite windy as the wind swirls around. I am hoping that by using lots of pots crammed together they won’t get blown over!

6. Helen Johnstone says:

Such a pity you had to buy new plants 😃. Have you thought of dismantling the wall and rebuilding it. It would allow you to get all the weed roots out and it looks like it is dry stone wall construction so wouldn’t be difficult

Hi Helen, yes I did think of removing the wall and rebuilding it, but that would have to be done by someone else as my back is too dodgy for heavy lifting (actually too dodgy for light weeding at times!). If my plan doesn’t work then I’ll get someone in to do that and possibly remove the ancient clematis at the same time.

7. BeckyB says:

Won’t be long before those 20 pots have taken over the garden!!

30 now. Some more arrived on Friday…

1. BeckyB says:

You are as bad as my mother!!!

Hee hee… you can never have too many plants 😀

8. Beautiful tulips! I am quite pleased with mine and wish I had the equipment (camera) and inclination (patience) to do them justice. Lovely Six again.

Well I am a very passionate flower photographer so I love getting in close to the plants. And I adore tulips! Even though they don’t last too long.

9. It must be tricky work weeding that hedge but it’ll look splendid with some rockery plants.

I hope so! Just hope the rabbits don’t think it is all for them!

10. It won’t be Tulip time for at least another couple of weeks up here. How lucky you are to have a wagtail in your garden.

The wagtails are frequent visitors all year round, they are lovely little birds.