Six on Saturday | Spring has Sprung

It has been a mixed week. Sunshine, showers and fog. But no wind! And the vernal equinox! It has been very still in the garden and warm too. Warm enough to encourage some of the tulip bulbs into flower. I hope this doesn’t mean they will be all over by May! Unfortunately a little light weeding caused me to hurt my back. I have suffered over the years with sciatica pain, often caused by doing the most normal of things, this time awkwardly bending to pull out a patch of chickweed! So no gardening for me, but I did manage to go out and take a few photos of the spring garden.

Tulips. I have a huge passion for tulips and each year I like to have a pot or two to welcome the spring. Last year with the severe cold followed by unusual heat early in the year meant that the tulips weren’t as good as normal and didn’t last too long. This year the unusual mild February brought the bulbs on very quickly and I was fearful that the gales last week would destroy them, but so far so good. I try out different ones each year, though these below are ‘Apricot Foxx’, ‘Cairo‘ they seem very similar to ‘Brown Sugar’.

The ‘Orange Emperor’ (left) were planted in the raised bed in 2016 and were splendid in their first year of flowering. Now only a few produce flowers and they are a lot shorter and smaller. I shall stick to buying new bulbs each year and grow them in pots.

In the pots of tulips I have planted various ‘toppers’. Often pansies or primulas, but this year I used other bulbs as well as Wallflowers and Sweet William. The Iris histrioides ‘George’ has already been and gone. Now it is the turn of the Anemone blanda ‘White Splendour’ forcing its way through the rest of the leaves. Next year I shall plant these little beauties on their own.

Looking for something other than bulbs I came across this Epimedium, planted under the willow tree and now sending up graceful spikes of orange and yellow. I am hoping it will spread a bit more under here, but it is certainly taking its time.

Most evident in the garden now are the self-seeded Forget-me-nots. Not always the pretty pale blue colour but sometimes throwing up pink or lilac flowers too. I always pull these out after flowering, but they manage to scatter their seeds throughout the garden!

Under the corkscrew hazel I have several plants that love to live in shade. After dying back over the winter now is the time that they put on new growth and take advantage of the light. Heucheras and Heucherellas and Brunnera live here with a bark mulch to prevent weeds from growing. On the other side of the tree is another Epimedium, but that one is not yet in flower.

The last plant to feature this week is a Tiarella. I was surprised to find it with so many flower buds. This one lives under the Willow tree, on the edge so receives dappled light throughout the summer. It seems very happy here.

I am hoping that the back will have improved by next week as the sun is supposed to shine here and there are more Cornish gardens for me to visit. As always if you want to have a nosy around other gardens where there are bound to be more spring (or autumn) flowers to admire and desire, then please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’ where you find links to many more wonderful garden enthusiasts from all over the world

1. Lovely tulips, Jude. Looking at your garden springing to life makes me wish I lived there. The lack of season changes here makes life a bit too boring. We don’t have to suffer through winter to get to the spring and summer. I’m not sure this is a good thing, although I’m sure hubby wouldn’t agree. Hope your back soon gets better. 😘

I would definitely miss my spring garden Sylvia. And seasons, though I could do without the long winter months – they are boring too!

1. Onecant have it both ways, it seems. 😅😳

If I had my way I would have a little place in Portugal to spend November – February in. Or if I could bear the flight, spend those months with my son in Australia!

2. Portugal does look inviting judging by Jo’s photos. 😍

Yes. She certainly sells the Algarvian countryside well.

2. One Man And His Garden Trowel says:

Lovely tulips and the anemone is very pretty. My mother-in-law always provides us with blue anemones as each year she has a thick carpet of them and is keen to thin them out. They’ve yet to take off in our garden though. I love forget-me-nots though they do take over a bit!

The forget-me-nots do contrast nicely with the bulbs and they are easy to remove, unlike other ‘weeds’ I could mention.

3. Sadje says:

Sorry about your back. Hope it gets better soon. Lovely pictures

Slept a little better last night and it isn’t quite so painful today. Hoping it will be back to normal by Monday!

4. Hope you feel better soon. Granny’sGardenHimIndoors’ back often “plays up” , it is so limiting. Beautiful colours, as always. I have the same experience as you with my forget-me-nots – I like them, too.

It’s a darn nuisance and happens for the silliest reasons.

5. fredgardener says:

Despite your back, you succeeded to take beautiful pictures and pretty close-ups…( what gorgeous tulips !) Take care and good recovery.

I couldn’t get down too low, but glad you appreciate the effort 😀

6. I love the tulips, and the rest of your garden is lovely, Jude. Sorry about your back. I hope it gets better soon and you can be outdoors doing what you love best. 🙂

The back is a bit better today, but I shall take it easy until after the weekend, though I do have several new plants to put into containers!

1. Take care, Jude! I know you don’t want to push it by putting those plants into containers too soon! 🙂

Did a little light weeding today, but stopped when the aches began. I do need to pot some plants up, but hopefully they can wait a week.

2. I’m sure they can wait, Jude. Most of all, I hope you take care of yourself. 🙂

7. Pit says:

Your (spring) garden looks wonderful. 🙂 Unfortunately we can’t have such lovely flowers. The deer would eat them. But we have some nicely blossoming trees.
    -https://wp.me/p107Dr-1bg

I don’t have any blossom trees unfortunately, and no space for them other than containers. Maybe, one day. Although it is so windy up here I am afraid the blossom wouldn’t last long! Your trees look lovely.

1. Pit says:

It certainly depends on one’s garden:
        you – no trees but gorgeous flowers
        we – now flowers but wonderfully blossoming trees
        Let’s enjoy whatever we get.

Exactly! I can always go to the wonderful gardens here in Cornwall for magnificent trees.

2. Pit says:

It’s such a long time that I enjoyed Cornish gardens, but I can still remember vividly how gorgeous they were.

8. Sciatica Pain is terrible -I had it whilst pregnant so really sympathise! Lovely 6. I particularly love the burnt orange tulips. They look terrific.

It’s not fun 😦
      Trying out different tulips this year so I hope they are all successful.

9. Suzanne says:

Jude, I’m pleased that you have enjoyed some spring cheer🌸

I love spring, and now my garden is looking good with all the spring bulbs I planted last year.

10. Su Leslie says:

Your garden is looking lovely Jude. I’m sorry your back is playing up again; I really Hope it’s better soon. Hope you have a great week.

Haven’t had sciatica since Australia, but my back often aches after gardening or making the bed even! Sciatica is sooo painful though.

1. Su Leslie says:

I’ve never had sciatica, but my mum was hospitalised with it for a while and I remember being beside myself with worry because she LOOKED in such agony. Hope you are feeling better.

It can be very painful. I have been known to need help getting out of bed. Not this time thank goodness.

2. Su Leslie says:

That’s good. I’m sure you are taking care. Hope the temptations of the garden are resistable for now 😀