Six on Saturday | MAD March Edition

Spoke too soon! Spring has disappeared and winter has returned. I have never known a week like this for gale force winds! Not only wind, but one which cuts straight through you. And rain. It has been practically impossible to step outdoors, let alone take a camera out. So this week’s six has come from inside my conservatory/orangery (and yes, before you ask, still getting water inside!)

1. Abutilon milleri variegated.  This was bought for me by my son as a thank you for looking after him when he was seriously ill. He bought me a few other plants too, but this one was looking rather pretty with the sun backlighting the maple-like leaves with striking cream variegation. It should have charming apricot bell-shaped flowers summer to autumn, but no flowers last year. I was told to keep it inside over winter for the first year, but then it should be OK to leave outdoors all year round. Not sure about that, but it is in a pot so easy to bring inside if necessary.
  2. The pelargoniums have been flowering pretty much all the time. I only water them when the compost is dry. I bought several new ones at the end of last summer, but seem to have lost one. Lord Bute, which is rather lovely with  purple-black blooms so I shall need to buy a replacement. I do rather like the regal pelargoniums.
  3. Last week several people mentioned Spider Plants (Chlorophytum comosum) also known as airplane plant, St. Bernard’s lily, spider ivy, ribbon plant, and hen and chickens. I have three at the moment. All need re-potting and some TLC once the weather improves and I can get to the compost. I have had Spider plants for donkey’s years, even taking them into my office when I worked with computers. They are tough plants and need to be kept cool and dryish.
  4. This is a Crown imperial fritillary ‘Red’ (Fritillaria imperialis ) and only in the conservatory at the moment because I was concerned the wind would damage it. I bought three bulbs in the autumn of 2016 because I like them, not realising at that time how windy it gets in my garden! The first winter I planted the bulbs in my raised bed. In spring two shoots emerged only to be eaten by S&S.  In 2018 when I saw them shooting again I rashly dug them up and put into a tall pot. They died. I fully expected the bulbs to have rotted away so I was surprised when a couple of weeks ago I saw green shoots emerging. Not one, not two, but five! I would dearly love them to flower this year and then I shall plant the bulbs in my woodland border.
  5. Sedum ‘Sandra Mottram’  is a really vibrant succulent that offsets readily. It gets a light blush on the leaf tips when in full sun. This was one of my purchases from Surreal Succulents who have a nursery at the Tremenheere Garden. I cannot visit without buying something, though several purchases were killed last year in the snow.
  6.  Another succulent that spends winter indoors. Echeveria ‘Pink Pearl’ I think. I have had this for a few years now and it usually flowers in the summer, though I am not as impressed by the flowers as I am with other succulents. I almost lost it a couple of winters ago, but managed to find an offset and now have a lovely plant. One offset was left outside through this winter, but I did wrap fleece around the sink when it was very cold.

Hoping that next week brings warmer and less windy weather so I can get out into the garden and hopefully visit more Cornish gardens though whether they will have anything left to see is anyone’s guess!

If you have time or the weather has turned nasty then please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’ where you find links to many more wonderful garden enthusiasts from all over the world

1. One Man And His Garden Trowel says:

The weather has been rotten. I love the scented leaves of pelargoniums. We have one with leaves that smell of sherbet lemon.

I like the scented ones too. And if you like sherbet lemon then get yourself some lemon verbena. It smells incredible!

2. Lovely photos of the succulents particularly the Echeveria.

Thank you! Over to yours in a bit!

Oh dear! What can I say without getting into trouble? Perhaps I’ll change the subject. 🙂 🙂 Bought a lovely white climber at Silves today. I think it was called Sunvilia Cosmos but I might be making that up. And something that looks a bit hydrangea but with red flowers. Who needs names? 🙂

As long as it’s pretty, who cares! No bougainvillea yet then?

Still making up my mind, and himself is faffing about with the design for the roof terrace. Now I’ve got a white climber it’s likely to be the very dark red though 🙂 🙂 Did you see that Rafa had to withdraw? 😦

Don’t hear anything about tennis on terrestrial TV. What is the white climber then? And yes, dark red would look lovely. Though I still think the orange/pink one would also look good.Let’s face it anything goes with white.

Good question. Marie has a dark pink one she says thrives in the sun but she doesn’t know it’s name. They’re not big on labelling plants here. It wasn’t like Harrogate 😍🍈🌺🍇🍑🌳💕

Send me a picture!! WhatsApp it.

It’s dark now, Jude 😁😁😁

4. Su Leslie says:

Sorry to hear about the continuing leaks ☹️ — and the miserable weather. Your conservatory plants are looking lovely and your photos of them are fab.

Later on this year I want to buy more plants for the conservatory/orangery instead of just using it to overwinter the more tender plants I have.

1. Su Leslie says:

Sounds really nice 😀

5. I love the colours of Echeverias and one of my favourites is the ‘Pink Pearl’. I have to watch for mealy bugs…

And the trusty spider plant. I do keep this outside in a sheltered position undercover. Reading your post has reminded me I do need to repot before the growing season.

6. janesmudgeegarden says:

I do hope your fritillaria flowers for you! I also like the Pink Pearl Echeveria as it’s quite different from the common ones I have in my garden. It’s now five weeks since we had any rain here, and the weather has only this week cooled down to below 30 degrees, so conditions have been trying, to say the least.🙁 I’m sorry to hear that your orangerie is still leaking.

Oh, if only I could swap some of your heat for my rain! Yes, the orangery is a pain, but I have confidence it will be sorted one day, only I was hoping that would have been last October! Still, it’s not the end of the world.

7. Lovely Echeveria. I only have one which was outside but I brought it in for some TLC and it’s looking much happier now.

Yes, they are not so keen on the wet and cold.

8. Chloris says:

I left a couple of huge vareiegated abutilons in the garden over winter they are not quite dead but only just hanging on in there. Love your pelargoniums. My frits have been blown about a bit but they are still standing. Let’s hope this wind will stop soon before we all go crazy.

Indeed. I am feeling stir crazy already, but the prospects of going outdoors are still grim. Sunshine and heavy hail today so far.

9. The conservatory might not yet be watertight but it’s doing a great job of caring for your plants. Sorry to hear you had a recurrence of winter but here the news is good. We’ve had some lovely rain over the weekend – 83 mm so far. 🙂

Hopefully that means we shall have sunshine 😀 Well we do today in between heavy hail showers! I hope this wind dies down soon before it makes us all as mad as March hares!

10. I hope the Fritillary blooms for you! How nice to have a conservatory too! Have we seen photos of that? I will have to look at all the photos on all your blogs! All your posts are wonderful! I see where all the blogs can be found here so I will jump in! Thank you for taking the time to look at my St Ives posts. We had such a good time there! It has turned cool this week and was windy too, but not as strong as what you had, I don’t think. I tied up some of the daffs that had just popped open because they were drooping in the wind!

Ah, thank you CadyLuck. It was a pleasure browsing through your St Ives posts, I noticed several very similar images to mine. It is a very photogenic place, but gets overcrowded during the holidays.