An Early Spring Walk

On a bright and beautiful almost springlike day last week we drove over to Lanhydrock gardens which is not far from Bodmin. Takes about an hour, but it is an easy drive along the A30 pretty much the entire way. From the car park where there is an impressive cafΓ©, plus toilets, bike hire shop and plant stall it is a 10 minute walk down through the estate to the formal gardens which surround the house. Entrance is through an imposing 18th century Gatehouse.

This leads to the house and the Parterre which is planted in spring with thousands of tulips under-planted with forget-me-nots. Too early at the moment. Between the Parterre and the beds in front of the raised church border a total of 5,000 tulip bulbs are planted and lifted every year. But we were there to see the Camellias and Magnolias, some of which were in perfect bloom.

Passing by the Parterre, we made our way to the Higher Garden where herbaceous borders can be seen in the summer months. There are several magnolia trees here as well as many camellia bushes of all colours and types.

Near the circular herbaceous borders, rather empty at this time of year, is a bench in the sun that we have yet to find empty! In the wall behind the bench is a wonderful door and what appears to be some kind of chapel.

We carried on wandering through the many paths that wind through a woodland landscape planted in a semi-formal Cornish fashion – rhododendrons and Himalayan magnolias lurching to their full-size in the fresh Cornish air

and where lawned areas are planted with narcissus and crocuses which looked like brilliant coloured light-bulbs in the sunshine.

We climbed high above the house and grounds giving us sweeping views over the estate and the surrounding countryside.

And there were plenty of unoccupied benches dotted around to allow us to take the weight off our feet.

On reaching a Celtic cross, we swung round and returned to the stable yard below, noticing a thatched shelter on the way.

Fully satiated with magnificent flowers we headed back uphill to the car park, passing many lovely trees. Mostly deciduous with their bare winter limbs reaching for the sky. This is a bit of an incline and I have often thought that they should position a few benches along this pathway. Not only to rest, but also to be able to sit and admire the beautiful trees. There is a buggy to transport the elderly and disabled back to the entrance, but as long as we can walk we will continue to do so.

This is a prime garden for walkers. Not only is there 30-acres of formal and informal woodland to explore, but the garden opens onto an extensive network of footpaths zigzagging through 900-acres of beautiful countryside. One day we will explore further.

If you like a stroll, long or short, you might enjoy joiningΒ Restless Jo, who always walks on a Monday.

1. Sadje says:

Made my day with your lovely pictures.

What a lovely place, Jude. Wonderful photos too. πŸ™‚

You know I love the showy ones! The Header is beautiful and there’s a heart-stopping, luxurious pink moment after the second gallery πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Love the thought of the lurching rhodies and the light bulbs, Jude πŸ™‚ This garden looks about my size? And a choice of benches (love that shadow shot!) Many thanks to you, lovely lady!

You are very welcome my friend 😊 only a few of the magnolias were open, but they were magnificent as this was before storm Freya. That big tree btw is a rhodie! I couldn’t believe my eyes! Still windy this week, but we are getting out between showers so there may well be more garden walks 😁

Sunny here after yesterday’s rain. Just heading down to t’ai chi 😍🌷🌻🌹 xx

4. What a lovely trip through those gardens – thank you. It’s a long time since we went (for a photography course) and we must go back soon. πŸ™‚

I think this is a stunning garden for magnolias and camellias. Have you ever been to Caerhays?

1. Many years ago. Need to go there again too! πŸ™‚

I have never been, was going last year and then the weather put me off! This year might be a good one if we lose this wind and rain!

5. Murtagh's Meadow says:

Looks like beautiful place. Love your photos.

Thank you. It is a lovely estate and garden.

6. Joanne Sisco says:

Spring is just magnificent there! … and that Gatehouse isn’t too shabby either!

I had to laugh when I looked at other posts of this place. I always seem to start with a photo of the gatehouse!!

1. Joanne Sisco says:

Probably because that’s the first thing you see!

And I am very predictable!

7. What stunning photos you take, Jude. Love the magnolia. And your bench photo. Just beautiful.

Thanks Ali. I loved those shadows created by the bench. Hard not to take good photos of the magnolia, although today I struggled with a prime lens (used it because it was very windy) as it struggled to focus at times. But I think I may have got some lovely portraits.

8. Sandra says:

I didn’t make it to Lanhydrock ahead of storm Freya but I’m hoping to get there next week. With luck there’ll be a new batch of magnolias in bloom.

There were plenty still in bud so hopefully there will be more. The wind and rain certainly aren’t kind to magnolias or camellias.

9. Magnificent everything: photography, estate, architecture and flowers. And the door!

I love that door and the heart handle!

10. It looks like you had a glorious day for visiting this beautiful place, Jude. The flowers are simply gorgeous and I love that bench photo! (Hint, hint πŸ™‚ )

Haha… I only take limited bench photos now πŸ˜€