Changing Seasons – February 2019

The latter part of February has been astonishingly different to this time last year. In 2018 we were shivering from the ‘beast from the east’,  plants were killed by unexpected snow and the country was in turmoil. This year we have had record-breaking temperatures of 20°C in Wales and even here in Cornwall the day time temperatures reached a balmy 16.5°C. The effect on the spring bulbs has been amazing. Crocuses flinging open their hearts in the sun, daffodils reaching for the blue skies, tulips forming buds, Camellias in their hundreds and even Magnolias casting off their velvet cloaks. So with all this going on I was excited to discover what was happening this month on the George V walk. The banks of the Copperhouse pool were clothed in dancing daffodils. More often than not I miss this spectacle by being too early or too late. This week though I timed it perfectly (header).

(click on the collage to enlarge image)

George V Memorial Walk – february 25 2019
  • Row 1: Blue Hyacinth, Euphorbia, Osteospermum ‘Tresco Purple’, Red Camellia, Rosemary
  •  Row 2: Flower bud of an Agave, White Hyacinths, Epimedium, Crocus vernus, Euphorbia ‘Martini
  • Row 3: Ribes (flowering currant), Euphorbia mellifera (Honey Spurge) and close-up, White Osteospermum, Violas
  • Row 4: Hebe (Veronica), Zantedeschia (Arum lily), Aucuba japonica ‘Crotonifolia’ (Spotted Laurel), Vinca Major (Periwinkle), Echeveria
  • Row 5: Maybe a Salvia (?), Daphne odora, Senecio petasitis (Velvet groundsel), Lilac Hyacinth, Muscari  armeniacum (grape hyacinth)

The Changing Seasons | February

1. Su Leslie says:

This is a lovely gallery of images Jude. It’s clear from the light in the shots that you’ve had sunshine. Hope this means Spring has arrived.

A beautiful day though slightly breezy so although I used the macro lens for some photos they weren’t as sharp as I like. Lots of colour though.

2. bushboy says:

Wonderful photos Jude 🙂 I am trying to time the planting of my bulbs but the usual timing just isn’t the same. I fear I will not have the wonder of my daffodils and other bulbs to lighten my winters again this year

When do you usually plant them? We do it in September, so March for you? Tulips a bit later, but I don’t think it matters so much with pots. Is it too hot still? Too dry?

1. bushboy says:

Late March if it is coolish but more into April hoping for flowers in August. I plant into pots as sometimes the weather can be too wet and the bulbs rot

Lovely colours, Jude. We had 19 C here, yesterday afternoon. Better than we had last June! 🙂

Strange isn’t it? Not going to last, but what a welcome relief from the rain!

Oh yes! (Rain on Friday here, apparently.) 😦

4. Ann says:

Hey Jude, your photos are beautiful. I’ll go and have a look at George V walk , I live in St Ives. Like the rest of Cornwall my garden is full of colour with all the bulbs, primula,camellias,osteospurnums and even my ginger is trying to flower!

5. Sadje says:

How beautiful the nature is!

6. Tish Farrell says:

Lovely gallery, Jude. Fine Feb weather well captured in flowers.

The weather has certainly helped. So very different from last year!

1. Tish Farrell says:

I’m hoping we won’t have a last March repeat either.

7. Joanne Sisco says:

20C?! Sigh.

Glad you aren’t having a repeat of last year’s winter blast. I don’t think anyone wanted that again!!

I’ll just gaze a while longer at your glorious spring flowers. The header photo with the daffodils remind me of the bright yellow tulips sitting on my kitchen table right now. They provide a lovely counterbalance to the snowstorm we’ve been having all day 😬

I have tulip buds appearing – far too early! I want to enjoy the flowers I have for now and the tulips appear in April and May as they should! Temp set to be around 12 degrees for the next week. And rain.

1. Joanne Sisco says:

I have to live vicariously through your tulips since, yet again – I didn’t plant any last fall. I’m seriously considering hiring a garden service this year. I think it would be worth the cost so I don’t have to be so grouchy about yard work anymore.

I think that is an excellent idea. I find the work in the garden is therapeutic and I would hate someone else to be fiddling around in it. Saying that I do find any hard labour to be difficult now.

8. How beautiful! I hope you don’t get any more unexpected winter blasts.

Rain in the forecast, but still around 12 degrees. I’m happy with that. If it stays too warm we will have nothing in flower by June at this rate!

Most life-affirming!