Six on Saturday | Mid February Edition

Some of these flowers appeared in my early spring bulb post a couple of weeks ago, but they have increased and new bulbs have come to join in the party. So a quick look around the garden and the pots this week to see what is happening.

1. Spring flowering dwarf irises.  Last spring I had dwarf Iris reticulata ‘Harmony’ growing in a round pot together with early flowering C. tommasinianus – I liked them so much that in the autumn I bought and planted several more varieties.
    1. Iris reticulata ‘JS Dijit’  a gorgeous red-purple flower marked with a  bright gold central band on the falls.
    2. Iris reticulata ‘Alida’ an attractive soft sky-blue with a yellow throat
    3. Iris histrioides ‘George’  with plum-purple flowers and dark veins. The purple falls have a yellow blotch on a white background with purple stripes.
      Iris JS Dijit, Anemones, Iris ‘Alida’

2. Crocuses. I love to see these colourful beauties appear in late January, they are such a welcoming sight after the short dull days of winter. A little sunshine soon sees them opening their faces. I have unknown purple and yellow ones under the Kilmarnock Willow and have added to them by planting C. Jeanne d’Arc though they have yet to make their presence known.

In a bowl C.  ‘Cream Beauty’, ‘Blue Pearl’ and  ‘Snow Bunting’ are just beginning to open. There are so many other pretty ones that I am sure I shall be adding to the collection in the autumn!

3. Daffodils. I planted several bowls of dwarf and taller daffodils in the courtyard for this spring to add some cheer early in the year. They have just begun to flower and look lovely, a bright splash of colour against the granite stone. The ones along the woodland border are also back.
  4. For something a little different, a little shrub, which keeps its colour all year long – Elaeagnus fortunei
  5. A similar shrub is Euonymus fortunei ‘Silver Queen’ which is very slow growing. Both these shrubs are quite small and grow alongside the wall on the south-facing side, though in the shade of the pretty willow tree. I am not convinced they add much to the garden, but in winter they do at least provide greenery.
  6. And finally, one of my little garden birds who pop in every day for their breakfast, lunch and supper. The colourful Great Tit.

That’s it for this week! Please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’ for more gardening tales of the unexpected and where I am sure there will be many more spring bulbs to be seen.

1. Stunning colours and photos! Lovely Six.

Such pretty colours, Jude. It’s all good from here on in? 🙂 🙂
    Rocking and rolling on a Saturday afternoon is a little bit crazy, but it was good fun.

Very foggy today Jo, I really need to get the grass mown, but it is far too wet still. Glad you enjoyed your R&R hope you are not too stiff tomorrow!

It was the sedate , elderly version 🙂 🙂

Heehee… you make me giggle sometimes. R&R in slow motion 😉

3. Beautiful photos as always. You can never have too many pans of bulbs at this time of the year

Very true! I am enjoying all these bulbs, but better not let the OH know how much I spent!

2. janesmudgeegarden says:

Suddenly there’s such gorgeous colour in your garden, Jude. It seems planting bulbs in pots is a very good idea. I wonder do you have to be careful about over watering at other times? And do put other plants in the pots when the bulbs are dormant, or do you lift the bulbs once they’ve died down?

The pots are easy to do in the autumn and I went out last year to buy several shallow ‘pans’ specifically for little bulbs. I use a normal compost with added grit and top dress with grit and then just leave them outside over winter. I get plenty of rain so no watering necessary. I did leave last year’s bulbs in the pots, never watered them, but not sure they are doing as well so I will probably remove them all this year and plant in the garden somewhere! And reuse the pots for summer bedding flowers.

4. Great bulb colour and variety. It is such a lovely lift to get colour now. Very well done!

I planted lots of small pots for this year to create some colour early on. I love tulips, but the daffodils are earlier and cheaper to buy and they seem to be fine in the north facing courtyard.

5. bushboy says:

Have never seen purple crocus. A blooming lovely post Jude 🌻🌻

The purple ones are wonderful this year, the best I have seen them, but I do like the yellow as a contrast and I have planted some white ones which have yet to appear.

1. bushboy says:

I only have pink crocus that pop up after rain in summer

Ah, now they sound like the autumn crocus (Colchicum autumnale) or naked ladies (on account of no leaves -stop smiling 😊 )

2. bushboy says:

They flower mainly in summer. What me smile. How did you know 😀😀😀

6. How lovely! It must be cheering to see these new colours appearing each day in the garden.

They are gorgeous and we went to a garden on Thursday and found so much more!

7. the dwarf irises are stunning! I think I prefer these growing in pots to daffs. Do the flowers last longer?

I think the daffs will be longer lasting. I shall try and remember to check them.

8. You must be rejoicing at all these flourishing. My only pleasure is a pot of very elegant chive flowers! I wrenched everything out of my deck box yesterday, after t weeks of neglect.

They certainly bring me joy Meg, to see some colour in the garden again.

9. March Picker says:

Jude, your posts never disappoint! Thank you for these colorful, cheery photos. That great tit looks fully prepared for an early spring in Cornwall.

Wait until you see the garden we visited last week!

10. Suzanne says:

The positive side of having a cold winter is these beauties. Beautiful Jude and a cheery post for an early Sunday evening 🙂

I can’t say that I have had a cold winter Suzanne, but it has been horribly wet and damp and grey. The grey really does get to me so I welcome colour of any kind.

1. Suzanne says:

Ok, cold to me is below 10 degrees. We spent a February in Cornwall a few winters ago and it snowed as well as being wet and grey. Though I’m sure we had some blue skies usually not for long. Colourful flowers will be cheerful and spring is nearly there for you.

10 degrees is considered to be mild here 🙂