Six on Saturday | Mid February Edition

Some of these flowers appeared in my early spring bulb post a couple of weeks ago, but they have increased and new bulbs have come to join in the party. So a quick look around the garden and the pots this week to see what is happening.

1. Spring flowering dwarf irises.  Last spring I had dwarf Iris reticulata ‘Harmony’ growing in a round pot together with early flowering C. tommasinianus – I liked them so much that in the autumn I bought and planted several more varieties.
    1. Iris reticulata ‘JS Dijit’  a gorgeous red-purple flower marked with a  bright gold central band on the falls.
    2. Iris reticulata ‘Alida’ an attractive soft sky-blue with a yellow throat
    3. Iris histrioides ‘George’  with plum-purple flowers and dark veins. The purple falls have a yellow blotch on a white background with purple stripes.
      Iris JS Dijit, Anemones, Iris ‘Alida’

2. Crocuses. I love to see these colourful beauties appear in late January, they are such a welcoming sight after the short dull days of winter. A little sunshine soon sees them opening their faces. I have unknown purple and yellow ones under the Kilmarnock Willow and have added to them by planting C. Jeanne d’Arc though they have yet to make their presence known.

In a bowl C.  ‘Cream Beauty’, ‘Blue Pearl’ and  ‘Snow Bunting’ are just beginning to open. There are so many other pretty ones that I am sure I shall be adding to the collection in the autumn!

3. Daffodils. I planted several bowls of dwarf and taller daffodils in the courtyard for this spring to add some cheer early in the year. They have just begun to flower and look lovely, a bright splash of colour against the granite stone. The ones along the woodland border are also back.
  4. For something a little different, a little shrub, which keeps its colour all year long – Elaeagnus fortunei
  5. A similar shrub is Euonymus fortunei ‘Silver Queen’ which is very slow growing. Both these shrubs are quite small and grow alongside the wall on the south-facing side, though in the shade of the pretty willow tree. I am not convinced they add much to the garden, but in winter they do at least provide greenery.
  6. And finally, one of my little garden birds who pop in every day for their breakfast, lunch and supper. The colourful Great Tit.

That’s it for this week! Please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’ for more gardening tales of the unexpected and where I am sure there will be many more spring bulbs to be seen.

1. Sadje says:

So nice to see the pictures of such beautiful flowers. Thanks for sharing

You are very welcome Sadje.

Crocuses and snowdrops everywhere around here, Jude. It was 15 C yesterday, and felt like summer, in the sun. Can’t last! 🙂

Same here, Pete…but we’re back in gloom today

We started with bright sunshine, but it is turning very grey now. 🙂

Crocuses are sooo lovely, but don’t last long. Still they are cheap to buy and I will buy more for next spring. We had summer on Thursday 😀

The iris Alida is a lovely colour!

It is a fabulous colour – sky-blue! Definitely a good choice. I shall look for more pale ones for next year and plant these under the trees.

I look forward to seeing more, in the fullness of time!

4. Lovely vibrancy to Spring flowers. Still waiting on mine but irises look ready to flower soon. Maybe by next week they’ll feature on mine.

It is nice that we don’t all have the same ones flowering at the same time so we have weeks of enjoyment! I am really a tulip person, but I am loving these little early flowers.

5. You have definitely inspired me to grow more dwarf irises in pots next year!

They are very rewarding, but I will replant these under the trees after they finish flowering as last year’s haven’t done so well being left in the pot. And buy more for the pots for next year. So many lovely colours to choose from.

6. Joanne Sisco says:

I look at your pretty flowers – then I look outside at the snow gently falling in the morning sun – I sigh and look at your pretty flowers again. I will just have to celebrate spring through your photos.

Your time will come. And at least you have sun! It has disappeared again here.

1. Joanne Sisco says:

At this time of year, I take every bit of sun when it happens!

Me too! Even if it means simply gazing at it through the window 🙂

7. Jim Stephens says:

Bulbs seem to have really benefitted from last summer’s heat. I hope by autumn people have forgotten how good they were or demand could outstrip supply. I want to plant lots more crocus, though Alida is a stunner and I’ve I’ve seen other irises I like a lot too.

There are some lovely irises and crocuses. And they don’t take up much room either so I am sure I can squeeze a few more in 🙂

8. Lisa says:

What cheering photos on my dreary morning! It’s like a bulb catalog, only better!
    I love the purple crocus. Yours must have been spreading for years, or there are more planted than I’ve done. I need many more.

The purple crocus are the best I have seen in the three winters I have been here. Maybe due to the hot summer we had which was drier than usual.

9. Oh my goodness, your garden is looking so beautiful! I love Iris reticulata ‘JS Digit’! I also planted Crocus ‘Cream Beauty’ and am really enjoying them. Love your pots! ❤️❤️❤️

10. Lovely post. I’ve become a big fan of early Irises this year and have noted your varieties – I like the one called George. My six has a pot of one called Katharine’s Gold. Maybe one to try nect year?

I do fancy some of the paler ones next year!