things you have liked

WordPress once used to send us a report at this time of year with all sorts of statistics to let us know which of our posts were the most popular etc. They haven’t done this for a couple of years now, so I decided to have a little browse around the Stats pages myself.

All Time Viewings (which is only from April 2016 when this blog was first published)

1. About
  2. Monthly Photo Challenge August
  3. A Walk to Hell’s Mouth
  4. In my garden | Summer’s End
  5. Siblyback Lake
  6. Thursday Special | Nubilous
  7. Big and Beautiful
  8. Trencrom Hill
  9. Up on the Hill
  10. A Winter Walk

And during the last year (2018)

1. About
  2. Big and Beautiful
  3. Up On the Hill
  4. Six on Saturday | Lost Gardens of Heligan
  5. Six on Saturday | September Edition
  6. Six on Saturday | Japanese Garden
  7. Six on Saturday | Mid-August Edition
  8. Cornish Beaches | Porthkidney
  9. Changing Seasons | January
  10. A Walk to the Lighthouse

So what, if anything, can I conclude from this? Well one thing is obvious, you really do need to have an About Page on your blog with some information preferably about yourself and the purpose of the blog. I must confess that when I receive a comment from a new blogger I always check out their About page before approving the comment. Something for new bloggers to take into account. Secondly it is interesting that the posts that get the most views are not my photographs. On the whole, with a couple of exceptions, it seems viewers of this blog prefer to read longer posts and those that are more personal i.e. my garden, my family, my life. Although I try not to bring a lot of my personal life into my blogs, it is apparent that those are the most popular posts. Something for me to consider in going forward. I have included links to the relevant posts so that if you have missed any you can pop along and have a gander. I would also be interested to know which type of my posts YOU prefer.

Happy New Year everyone. Let’s hope this is an improvement on the last one, though I wouldn’t mind another heatwave any time soon!

1. Su Leslie says:

I’d forgotten about the WP reports. Doing your own is a great idea, and it’s interesting to get that overview. My About page is marginally more visited than a post that got Freshly Pressed, and just makes the Top 5 for last year.
    I’m like you though, I always visit other’s About, and get really frustrated by how often one is lacking.

2. My preferences? Garden posts for both words and images. And I LOVE your garden diary posts, words and images: maybe because they have a personal dimension, but also because, as a non-gardener, I’m fascinated by the speed with which your garden develops, its changing nature, and your concepts for its development. Beaches and their detail and their tiny people too of course. I’m not such a fan of single-photo, minimal-word posts, but that’s just me. I hope your 2019 is a ripper.

I love the new header, for some of the above reasons, and the new look.

1. pommepal says:

G’day Meg, all the best for 2019 to you and your family

Mmm… preferences noted. I guess I am being lazy posting single photos. I shall bear that in mind this year. And thank you for your input, always warmly welcomed Meg 🙂

3. pommepal says:

I agree with Meg I love seeing your garden and the garden visits you take us on. I agree with you about “abouts” annoying when there is no personal information I check people that put a follow on my site but don’t usually add any more to my commenting list just keep with my small group of favourite bloggers. I hadn’t realised WP had stopped sending stats. Seems they have stopped doing lots of interactive things. Maybe spending all their time trying to figure out how to get more money from us…

4. J > If we want impersonal information, we go to Wikipedia, tourist board websites, and the such like. We follow WP blogs because we want the very thing those other sites don’t give us : authentic experience s of other real people – every one of them absolutely unique. And what’s more we learn things we could never (or very unlikely to) learn otherwise. So yes, we want to learn and experience Cornwall and elsewhere through you, and as you yourself have admitted, we check out the About so that we can understand the author’s context, viewpoint, perspective, and reckon up how trustworthy a witness the author may be, and whether there’s something we have in common which will make the blog in question more meaningful to us. So yes personal content is important – certainly to me!

Thanks J, that is very useful. I hope that I do give you my impressions of Cornwall or indeed other places I blog about on my other sites even if through a single photo, which is always carefully selected to portray what I see and what I want the viewer to see too. And I agree that the About page is an important part of telling whether we have something in common. I shall be taking all these comments into account as I enter this new year of blogging. Thank you.

5. I’ve been giving your question some thought. I love your garden posts, both about your garden and those you have visited. I really enjoy your regular monthly garden stories. I also enjoy your posts about buildings or structures and I love seeing the glorious Cornish scenery. In fact, I really enjoy everything you publish. So I’d say just keep on doing what you do so well, Jude. I miss those annual round ups WordPress used to send.

Aw, thanks Carol. It means a lot to me that you like my posts. I shall be back with the garden posts soon 🙂

6. Jill's Scene says:

I enjoy your photos, in particular Jude. But that said, now that I’ve read this post I’ve made a note to take a gander at my About page. it probably needs updating!

Thanks Jill. Nice to know you like the photos 🙂

7. Joanne Sisco says:

I too had forgotten about those reports that WP used to send. I rarely look at my stats so it would be an interesting thing to peruse some day … although I’ll probably never get around to it.

I’m not surprised that the more ‘personal’ posts get the most traffic. I admit I do like blogs that are more personal in nature. It gives a sense of the person and their life … preferably without crossing the too-much-information line.

I guess I see my photos as ‘personal’ but they don’t give much away. I will try and add a few more notes this year. Like you I don’t like to give too much away in my posts, though I suspect I do in my comments!!

1. Joanne Sisco says:

Ironically I tend to think that no one is really interested in my personal stories, and yet I am interested in others. Go figure.

I always vacillate when considering adding a personal bit into a post – like my current trials with my eye.

8. Lucid Gypsy says:

If I like someone enough to visit and keep visiting, I want to know more about them. It’s looking for things in common, the same with virtual friends as with – uh, the other kind 🙂 🙂 🙂

There IS another kind?

9. “it seems viewers of this blog prefer to read longer posts and those that are more personal” That’s an interesting result! I’m going to look at my stats, though my numbers are so much smaller than yours I doubt it will be statistically significant. 😉

Interesting in that my single photos are not favourites, though possibly MY favourites! Still my blog is my hobby and not for commercial purposes so I don’t have to aim it entirely at a specific market. Just as well because I will still post solo photos of the things I love and the photos I think are good enough to share.

1. I like solo photos, I do find long posts (and I don’t mean yours specifically) a bit of a slog, though I’m guilty of it myself too. It’s especially a slog when people (not you) don’t optimise the photos, meaning one is waiting for 10 huge images to download. I don’t wait, I leave. 😉

My broadband connection is not great so I don’t wait for slow downloads either. Good to know that about long posts. Hopefully I break mine up with photos, but again it is something to be mindful of.

10. Ah that conservatory of yours and the views are gorgeous Jude. Very envious!! Keep your marvelous blog posts about like in Cornwall coming xx