Six on Saturday | Late November Edition

I have had a look around the garden to see what is still in flower, though probably won’t be for much longer as it has been colder this week including a frost on Wednesday morning. As you can see from the header my ‘Tresco Purple’ Osteospermum and the Erigeron karvinskianus are still flowering away in the sunny wall, but let’s have a look at another six in the garden.

1. Camellia. Unknown name, but a pretty double white flower in February usually. Now full of buds. Last year I brought into the conservatory in February because of the snow, where it flowered for ages and didn’t suffer from the wet which turns the flowers a horrid brown. I might do the same this winter too as it is still in a container.
  2. Gaura / Lindheimer’s beeblossom (G. lindheimeri ) is still flowering away. I know I should cut it back after flowering and I know it doesn’t like to be wet, so I am hoping that by being in a raised bed and having some mulch around its roots will get it through the winter. Mine is a pretty pink one.
  3. Another flower still blooming is the Calendula / Marigold. Self-seeded and totally the wrong colour for my Bee and Butterfly bed, this was badly damaged in the recent gales, but the stems that survived are still going strong.
  4. Not in flower, but I couldn’t help noticing how pretty the marbled leaves of this Cyclamen is. Planted under the Kilmarnock Willow which is still hanging on to a few leaves, I hope that this plant will spread.
  5. I bought this ‘Cornish Pixie’ a Fuchsia microphylla from the Eden Project in the spring. It is supposed to grow to only 20 cm so I planted it into my Belfast sink. It might be moved if it survives the winter. It has been flowering happily ever since I bought it and still is.
  6. Finally the Penstemon again. After a disastrous start in the warm weather when the flowers lasted only a few days before dying, it has been in permanent flower. Some of the clumps have already finished and will need cutting back, but I shall wait until spring to do that as last year I lost a couple of well established clumps to the cold. These are not reliably hardy and also dislike wet soil  so I am keeping my fingers crossed.  Two new plants which I bought in late summer have already died down.

So that’s my six this week. Have a lovely week and if you fancy visiting a few more gardens then pop over to the Prop and you’ll find tons of links in the comments. I won’t be posting much on this blog for a few weeks, but you can see me on the Travel blog  (people who know me know that I avoid this time of year as best as I can and resurface in January). I shall wish all you good people a lovely time doing whatever it is you do during this season and I will see you all next year.

1. patch405 says:

I love the Cornish Pixie! How dainty and delightful!

Like little jewels!

2. The camellia is going to be splendid when those buds open, and how lovely still to have so much of interest to look at in the garden in late November.

3. One Man And His Garden Trowel says:

I like that Cornish Pixie very much. Other than Laura our penstemons were a dismal failure this year. I hope you’re feeling better soon and spirits lifted. Spring will be here before we know it.

4. What a wonderful collection. My favourite has to be he marbled leaved cyclamen

5. Your camellia will be beautiful in a few weeks when all those flowers open.

I am sure it will appear in a future edition 🙂

6. Wishing you well Jude. Your garden will be there to welcome you back

7. What a wonderful garden 😊

Thank you. Keeps me out of mischief 🙂

8. As always a pleasure to read about and see your garden. I’m envious of the way names trip off your tongue: I’ve spent the weekend doing battle with eucalypt ID. Can’t wait for Joe to nail names to trees, which he’s threatened to do when the “lousy bastards” (his frustrated words) deign to drop him a flower or a nut or even a living leaf so he’d not dependent on bark!

I hope you have a great break, curled up somewhere warm, and emerge with new growth at the end of winter. Are you hibernating at home? Directing us to Travel Words suggests not. At which point I read other comments and realised that all’s not well in your world. I hope so much it soon will be, especially your health.

Thanks Meg. Just a rotten head cold and cough, on the mend I think. I’ll email you shortly, I owe you one anyway! And given the number of eucalypts I am not surprised that they are difficult to id.

9. cavershamjj says:

Lovely gaura, big fan of those. Inhave some cuttings on the go so hope I can increase stocks. Have a good hibernation, hope to see a Six from you soon.

10. I still find it strange that Gaura lindheimeri, which is native here in central Texas, should be growing in your garden in Cornwall. Speaking of which, about five years ago botanists changed the Gaura genus to Oenothera:

Oenothera. Isn’t that the Evening Primrose? I can’t keep up with all the botanical changes so I stick to the names I know!!

1. Yes, Oenothera is the genus that includes the evening primroses. You’re right that the changes have been coming fast and furious, and many people are happy to stick with the older scientific names.