Six on Saturday | Heucheras, Heucherellas and Tiarellas

This week I am going to introduce you to my new favourites. Heucheras, Heucherellas and Tiarellas which all belong to the family – Saxifragiace, a North American group. Given the problems I have in this garden with S&S (slugs and snails) and becoming quite disillusioned with the destruction of lots of seedlings and flowers in my first year of planting, I decided to try to find plants that are resistant to their munching. Herbs seem to survive – in fact the S&S appear to dislike anything with a strong scent. I also discovered that if I buy established plants and large seedlings that although they are more expensive they do seem to survive.

Heucheras are very versatile plants and come in all sorts of colours and one of the easiest plants to grow. There are some suited to full sun, some to shade and some that are happy in both. Generally speaking I find the lighter, brighter ones do well in shade and add a touch of brightness. They also come in a variety of leaf sizes, some small-leaved ones look good in containers, hanging baskets and rockeries, then there are large-leaved varieties which look good at the front of a border.

If you have a hot sunny spot you will need to pick the hotter, deeper colours – reds, orange, black, purple.  Shade is great for silvers, limey greens, golden oranges and variegated. Dappled shade is great for both – Morning sun afternoon shade is also a great combination.

These are hardy plants and do not require covering with fleece in winter. They need to breathe so also do not allow other foliage to hang to closely over them. Once established they are drought hardy. In spring simply remove any dead leaves or give them a spring haircut and they will grow again. They are also easy to propagate through division, which is why I have several of the lime and marmalade plants in my garden.

Heucherellas are a lovely group of plants – they are a cross between Heucheras (Coral Bells ) and Tiarellas (Foam Flower) giving some of the lovely foliage colours of the Heucheras combined with the beautiful foamy flower of the Tiarella. Heucherellas are happiest in light-shade although the orangey/reds  do enjoy some sun.

Tiarellas- Foam Flowers – this group of plants are little gems in the shady border – producing masses of whorls of starry foamy white/pink flowers – some of which are sweetly scented.  They look lovely naturalising in woodland borders with spring bulbs.

I shall be adding to my collection next year with some suitable for containers in the courtyard garden.

See here for the participant’s guide.

I love Heucheras, Jude…didn’t know the other two

The Tiarellas spread quite nicely, I am hoping that mine cover the ground under the willow tree. Pretty flowers too that last for ages in a very subtle way.

Sounds good

2. Lovely mix of foliage. Combined with my ferns they make one of my favourite parts of the garden.

They do mix well with the ferns. And I actually like the flowers, they last for ages, even though the flowers aren’t what we grow them for.

You always educate me about plants, Jude. Just a shame I don’t put that education to any use! 🙂

There are a lot of different colours which makes a change from the greenery of all the ferns and anything that doesn’t get eaten gets my vote Pete!

4. Lora Hughes says:

Didn’t realise the differing colours had differing sun tolerance. VERY good to know, as these are such great plants for the garden. Thanks for the info.

I have to admit that I don’t stick to that strictly and in fact I had to move a darker one out of the sun because it seemed to be struggling in the heat of the summer.

5. fredgardener says:

I just knew Heucheras … the other two were unknown to me. Thanks for sharing. How do you do with them because, year after year, they grow up and become less beautiful … do you divide them?

I just dig them up and split them when they get woody, mine are quite young plants though Fred. The oldest two which came with me in pots are the Marmalade and the Lime Marmalade, both of those have been divided.

1. fredgardener says:

that’s what I heard, thanks

6. Chloris says:

I love heucheras too although I’ve found that some of the new hybrids twindle away.

Mmm… I shall have to watch out for that then.

7. Sadje says:

Amazing colors!

I hope to buy some even more amazing ones in the spring.

As I’ve said we have a few and I love the varieties. As per usual I’m changing the subject. The newest shoots of our Boston Ivy are the loveliest rose pink. Clinging on to say goodbye 😂😂

9. Robyn Haynes says:

I love the variety this little plant comes in. I wonder if it grows in my part of the world. I will make inquiries I think. Lovely pictures. .

10. Hopefully the S&S will get the message one day and move on to someone else’s garden. My mother saves the eggshells when she cooks with eggs, crushes them and sprinkle the bits around her plants. The S&S don’t like the scratchy bits on their soft underneaths and it keeps them away. Might be worth a try in your garden.

Carol, I have tried everything. Crushed eggshells, grit, gravel, garlic spray, copper bands and beer traps – they are impervious to all of them. The only thing that is successful are the blue pellets which I don’t like using, but when I do I use the organic ones and very sparingly. I might try wool pellets as they are supposed to deter the beasties. No, I really think the answer is to use plants they do not enjoy eating.

1. I have no other suggestions if you’ve tried all these methods. You must breed tough S&S over there.

I might try the beer traps again, more of them and deeper ones. The problem here I think is that it doesn’t get cold enough to kill them off – this year hasn’t been as bad probably because we had the snow which is unusual this far west. I might also try nematodes in February to try and kill off the new ones whilst they are small.