Garden View: Trelissick

We popped over to Trelissick Gardens on a bright autumnal day towards the end of October aiming for a walk down to the beach and around the woodland to enter the garden near to the King Harry ferry crossing. Except when we arrived there was a notice informing us that the ferry  garden entrance was only open at the weekend. And this was Monday. Oh, well, we headed straight into the garden instead and walked down to the ferry entrance and then made our way back through the gardens to the house. It was a beautiful bright day with that fabulous clear light that you get down here in Cornwall (when it isn’t cloudy) and when sitting in a sheltered spot facing the sun and overlooking the Carrick Roads it was even pleasantly warm.

(Which reminded me that I haven’t posted anything about my visit in the summer when it was more than warm, it was uncomfortably hot, and instead of finding a bench in the sun I sought out one in the shade. I will post something about that visit shortly. )

Meanwhile here is a photo walk through the garden taking in the autumn leaves and what remains of the flowers.

Trelissick garden has plenty of trees so a nice place to visit for some autumnal colours, especially in the sunshine.

It is still a little strange for me to see tropical looking plants in an English garden.

Whilst sitting on a sunny bench down by the tennis lawn I spent a few minutes watching and capturing this cheeky squirrel running around the parkland. I swear he was looking at the camera in this shot, but I was still quite a distance away and keeping very still.

There were still some flowers in the garden. Not a lot, but enough to add a few pops of colour in the borders. I have learned from a fellow SoSer about autumn flowering Camellias (thanks Jim) but I never knew there were autumn flowering rhododendrons, or maybe the one I saw was a very early spring variety! The Dahlia by the way is called ‘Trelissick Purple‘.

We finished off in the on site Crofters café for a lovely strong Flat White coffee and a toasted Ciabatta sandwich. Only wish there were more vegetarian choices as cheese and tomato is not very thrilling. Still probably healthier than cake! Or maybe not.

• Postcode:  TR3 6QL
  • City:  Feock
  • County:  Cornwall

1. Chloris says:

Beautiful shots, I love Trelissick, nice to see it in autumn.

It is probably the one I go to the most often.

How can you be bored, Jude, with so many lovely gardens to see? Though I suppose most of them are closed by now. 🙂 🙂 I made the classic Monday mistake last week (heavens, was it only a week ago? 😦 ) when we took Lisa and Leo to see the tiniest, most beautiful church in Loulé. Closed, of course, but the day improved considerably with the wine tasting. You’d better not visit mine today. Far too much cake on offer!

The thing with gardens Jo and beaches come to that, is they are no good when it rains. And I mean rain, not mizzle. You just get wet and miserable. Can’t even take photos! Having a party are we?

I meant the cake/pancake on the post, though several celebrations are planned over the next week. Seems everybody is happy to get rid of me. 🙂 🙂

Ah yes, I understand now. Having lunch at Godrevy as the sun is shining and it is low tide so I can go for a stroll.

3. bushboy says:

Another lovely stroll about thanks Jude 🙂 Just add onion, tomato relish or your favourite sauce maybe rocket or a lettuce which makes good ole tomato and cheese a bit bearble

I don’t mind cheese at home because I can add all those things, but sadly not in the café. When I have to PAY for a sandwich I like something a bit more exotic, like Mozzarella and sun-dried tomatoes maybe 🙂

1. bushboy says:

Now you’re talking. Yes to get a cafe to make a “special” (or what I call edible) attracts extra charges. I guess it was a ciabatta though 🙂

Being ciabatta helped 🙂

2. Mozzarella and sundried tomatoes are a great favourite of mine. Our Starbucks here does a great panini with that filling plus rocket and basil.

Basil and rocket are favourites of mine too!

4. Sadje says:

Lovely post and pictures. Thanks for sharing

5. pommepal says:

I love the colours of autumn Jude. This post brings on the nostalgia for me

It doesn’t seem that long since you went on your trip to see the autumn colours there Pauline. Time passes by so quickly.

1. pommepal says:

I’ve just been back to check the Tenterfield posts and got carried away into autumn, the joy of blogging is keeping the memories. It was April/ May only 6 months but seems much longer

I can spend quite a while re-reading older posts – I suppose no different than browsing through photo albums, though what I like about the blog posts are the addition of the comments, which then often sends me to another site to catch up!

2. pommepal says:

Re-reading posts can also be a good memory jogger. I agree about comments too

6. BeckyB says:

Beautiful, but why oh why do so many cafes and restaurants fail to think imaginatively when it comes to veggie choices. Just don’t get it!

Usually we just have cake!!

There may have been more choice earlier, we were quite late for lunch. There is a fabulous place near the Helford River that is vegetarian. A bit out of the way for us, but always the most fabulous food on offer.

1. BeckyB says:

When we finally make it down your neck of the woods I’ll be following up on the Helford River recommendation 🙂

It never occurs to me to think of that limited choice for vegetarians. I suppose it must indeed get quite boring. Lovely shots of the gardens of course.

Well we are not committed veggies – we just decided to forego meat for the year, although we have both been vegetarian at several stages before. Have to say that on the whole I don’t miss meat other than sausages, and now it is getting colder, a nice rich beef stew!

8. Tina Schell says:

Lovely stroll Jude, especially like the way you present the collections. Glorious blooms throughout!

Thanks Tina, I always enjoy finding a few flowers.

9. What a beautiful garden on a superb day! 🙂

A little chilly in the shade but lovely and warm in the sun. How are you settling back at home? Ready to hunker down for the winter or are you now a dedicated 10km a day walker?

1. I know all about those bits of sun that warm you up on cold days. In Portugal we always gravitated to those elusive sunlit spots. I am feeling more settled with each day, Jude, although it always seems like the house is in upheaval when I return. This time, I’m the one who left it in upheaval, in my preparations for two very different trips. As for being a dedicated 10k walker, I don’t think that will ever be! The main thing that kept me going in Spain were my fellow pilgrims and the ever-changing scenery. Here I’m hard pressed to find any path I haven’t walked before. I think I’ll just stick to my 3-mile walks. That’s now plenty for me! 🙂

3 mile walks every day is pretty good going Cathy. I really ought to do that too.

2. I realized once I resumed my walks at home how boring they are, Jude. I told Mike yesterday I wish I could find some other kind of exercise I like. Until then, I guess I have to keep walking. 🙂

10. Pit says:

Thanks for taking me through that gorgeosu garden!

Happy to have your company Pit 🙂