Garden View: Trengwainton

Trengwainton is Cornish for ‘house of springs’ which is a reference to the many small springs that run throughout the garden. It is a plant grower’s dream garden with plants collected from all over the world. In spring it is home to magnificent magnolias and camellias followed by rhododendrons and azaleas, then lush banana plants and soaring echiums. There is also a lovely fuchsia garden with various species although this was badly damaged by the extreme weather this year (2018) and the wonderful walled garden built to the exact measurements of Noah’s Ark. Now this unique and restored kitchen garden is used to grow fruit and vegetables and is home to the annual scarecrow exhibition.

A stream runs alongside the driveway up to the house (private) and through a shady area with ponds to a wide and open terrace with views over Mount’s Bay. In summer you will find large blue agapanthus here. But my recent visit was at the beginning of September and I just wanted to illustrate how colourful a September garden can be.

From Abutilon to Zinnias; exotic banana plants and tree ferns to common sunflowers and lettuces; the humble hydrangea and the fragrant Heliotrope and Hedychium; there was more than enough to keep me and my camera happy for an hour or two.

1. The name Abutilon jumped out at me because we have a few native species of that genus in Austin. The common name here is Indian mallow. Do you know what kind of Abutilon has been planted in Trengwainton?

I’ll check to see if I photographed any labels. All I know off hand is that one is red and yellow with a red clapper (Megapotamicum?)and there is another one which is yellow!!

2. Such a beautiful selection of flowers, Jude. Maybe on our next visit, we should meet there for lunch. 🙂

It was very busy at lunch-time so obviously popular.

3. Lignum Draco says:

A lovely collection of photos, Jude. I see some pink squares here, but I figure you’ve already known that. 🙂 Do you have an overview photo of the garden built to Noah’s Ark configurations?

4. germac4 says:

What great selection of plants and flowers, there must be wonderfully fertile soil and lots of rain in Cornwell…..plenty to wish for being a gardener in Australia!

Definitely no shortage of rain!

5. Pete Hillman says:

A beautiful selection, Jude! Stunning!

More colour in the garden than I was expecting. So much was destroyed down here by the unusual snow. Lots of gaps.