Six on Saturday | Yellow

Not much to show you from my garden at the moment  that hasn’t already been seen. So I thought we’d have a look at six plants that have lovely yellow flowers at this time of year. I know many people associate yellow with spring and especially with daffodils, but it is also a good colour to finish the summer with. All these were photographed outside at the Eden Project yesterday.

1. Helianthus. Or sunflowers if you prefer. Lots of them, mostly finished flowering and with drooping heads, but some of the smaller varieties were still looking cheerful.
  2. Achillea Millefolium (Yarrow) –  an easy perennial, growing in nearly any sunny situation, even where there is poor soil.  I don’t know what variety this one is, but it is very pretty. I only have the common white yarrow, the one that becomes a weed if you let it get into the lawn.
  3. Ligularia dentata – this was growing close to the pond as it likes moist soil and is good for a bog garden. A little untidy, but cheerful all the same.
  4. Dahlia ‘Moonfire’  – there was an entire bed full of Dahlias of all types and colours and I enjoyed taking quite a few photographs. I do not grow Dahlias, never have, and living here I suspect I’d get very annoyed by the slugs and snail damage. But I do like taking their photo. And I must admit, the bees were all over them. Or in this case, a fly.
  5. Helenium.  I do actually have two of these in my new bed, Helenium ‘Moerheim Beauty‘ and Helenium ‘Ruby Tuesday‘ which is a dark red. This one however is pure yellow and I quite fancy having one. Possibly ‘Kanaria‘?
  6. Rudbeckia fulgida var. sullivantii ‘Goldsturm’ – also known as ‘Black-eyed Susan’ though I always think of Thunbergia when anyone mentions that name. It looks great planted in bold drifts with other late summer-flowering perennials and ornamental grasses which is how they have planted it here. And having Monty Don say that the rough stems prevent slug damage I am tempted to add one to my bed next year.
    So, do you like yellow in the garden? And if so which is your favourite.

1. One Man And His Garden Trowel says:

That ‘Moonfire’ is stunning. I love yellow. A great Six.

2. Hurrah for yellow – I love it and some people I know are very snooty about it and won’t have it in their garden. More fool them I say.

They are missing a treat, though I have to confess to not having any myself other than a marigold. I would like one of those yellow clematis.

3. fredgardener says:

Super idea this declination of Six yellow things. My favorite is the Dahlia. Next color next week?

Haha… anything is possible Fred 🙂

4. Su Leslie says:

These are lovely Jude. A cheerful visual feast for me on a very grey day.

Glad you enjoyed them Su. They are very cheerful aren’t they? I must find room for one or two in my garden for next year.

5. This is a lovely yellow collection, so bright and cheerful. The dahlia is gorgeous. I must plant more dahlia tubers this year. I’ve never had S&S problems – we rarely even see them, but last year my first dahlia flower of the season was chewed to half its size. I suspect the culprit was a possum.

If its not the S&S then it is the caterpillars or the earwigs. I won’t buy dahlias because I just know they’ll be eaten and I have enough disappointment. I do enjoy seeing them though.

1. I’m determined to grow more this year. I only have two different types at the moment.

6. March Picker says:

Enjoying your vibrant yellows, Jude. They do draw the eye and shine out at dusk as well.

7. Lucid Gypsy says:

Lovely, who doesn’t like sunflowers and rudbeckias are cheerful too.

They are all rather lovely. And rather tall. My garden doesn’t do tall well.

8. Loving the photo’s. The yellow flower really do add extra sparkle in the garden this time of year.

They do add quite a splash of colour to an otherwise quiet time. More so this year.

9. n20gardener says:

I see what you mean about other gardens! Great theme. I love yellow roses but not much else. I do have Rudbeckia Goldsturm in the garden which is putting everything else into the shade right now. I liked the scruffiness of the ligularia and the yellow helenium looks good.