Not much to show you from my garden at the moment that hasn’t already been seen. So I thought we’d have a look at six plants that have lovely yellow flowers at this time of year. I know many people associate yellow with spring and especially with daffodils, but it is also a good colour to finish the summer with. All these were photographed outside at the Eden Project yesterday.
- Helianthus. Or sunflowers if you prefer. Lots of them, mostly finished flowering and with drooping heads, but some of the smaller varieties were still looking cheerful.
- Achillea Millefolium (Yarrow) – an easy perennial, growing in nearly any sunny situation, even where there is poor soil. I don’t know what variety this one is, but it is very pretty. I only have the common white yarrow, the one that becomes a weed if you let it get into the lawn.
- Ligularia dentata – this was growing close to the pond as it likes moist soil and is good for a bog garden. A little untidy, but cheerful all the same.
- Dahlia ‘Moonfire’ – there was an entire bed full of Dahlias of all types and colours and I enjoyed taking quite a few photographs. I do not grow Dahlias, never have, and living here I suspect I’d get very annoyed by the slugs and snail damage. But I do like taking their photo. And I must admit, the bees were all over them. Or in this case, a fly.
- Helenium. I do actually have two of these in my new bed, Helenium ‘Moerheim Beauty‘ and Helenium ‘Ruby Tuesday‘ which is a dark red. This one however is pure yellow and I quite fancy having one. Possibly ‘Kanaria‘?
- Rudbeckia fulgida var. sullivantii ‘Goldsturm’ – also known as ‘Black-eyed Susan’ though I always think of Thunbergia when anyone mentions that name. It looks great planted in bold drifts with other late summer-flowering perennials and ornamental grasses which is how they have planted it here. And having Monty Don say that the rough stems prevent slug damage I am tempted to add one to my bed next year.
So, do you like yellow in the garden? And if so which is your favourite.
See here for the participant’s guide.
This is the time of year to find these warm rich yellows in the garden -it’s beautiful to see a group of them all in a row.
Thank you, glad you enjoyed them.
Love your radiant pics…!
Sunny, sunny, sunny!
Lovely, sunny photographs. To me yellow is the colour of September, with so many cheery daisy flowers.
I adore daisy like flowers, they are all so beautiful and yes, you could well be right about the colour. There is certainly a lot about.
My favourite is all of them 🙂
Now you’re just being greedy, lol 😁
But of course……it is all about want want want 🙂
Beautiful, happy-looking blooms, Jude. My dad used to grow the most gorgeous dahlias. Thanks for the memories. 🙂
I love yellow in the garden. Of this bunch, it’d be hard to pick a fav but I’ll for the yarrow. Now to go look up this Eden Project.
Comments are closed.