Six on Saturday | Mid August Edition

I was looking back in my garden note-book to see what was flowering this time last year to compare with this month. The garden seems a little less colourful as several plants have finished flowering early and I lost quite a few in spring from the snowfalls (including a couple of Osteospermum, two Chocolate Cosmos, several Fuchsias, lavender and an Arctotis).

Anyway, here are six plants currently flowering in my garden. Some old, some new!

1. Persicaria officinalis ‘Darjeeling red’ though it looks quite pink to me, I think the red refers to the stems. This is a new plant and in the ‘bee and butterfly bed’ and I am hoping it will spread nicely over the edge.
  2. Another new one specially purchased for this new bed is Lobelia ‘Hadspen Purple’. I had intended to pick up a Penstemon, but somehow this ended up in my basket. I love the really rich purple velvety flowers and fortunately so do the bees.
  3. Hemp Agrimony (Eupatorium cannabinum) also known as ‘Raspberries and Cream’ displays ‘frothy’ clusters of tiny, pink flowers on top of long, reddish stems from July to September. Butterflies like the Small Tortoiseshell and Red Admiral like it as do lots of other insects. It is a wild flower and likes to be near water.
  4. Another wild flower also growing in the same area as the one above is Water Mint. It grows in several places in this garden, but I like the flowers it produces at this time of year – so do the butterflies (possibly the Meadow Brown in this case). It has hairy, oval, toothed leaves that appear in whorls around the reddish stems and produces dense clusters of lilac-pink flowers at the ends of its stems between July and October. Its leaves can be used in the same way as other mints, flavouring cooking and drinks.
  5. The third plant that is in the same part of the garden as those above is the very pretty Japanese Anemone. Which makes me think that there must have been a pond here at some stage. So many of these plants love to be beside water.
  6. And finally, a thug. Jasmine officinale ‘Clotted Cream’ which has been planted alongside the fence at the side of my conservatory. Unfortunately it grows like crazy and although I cut it right down last year it soon spurted into life again. I tried to keep tying in the stems as they grew, but it became impossible. As the flowers are at the end of these whips I have not cut it back, but will do so next month. The perfume is subtle and in the evening very nice, but the foliage far outweighs the flowers. I wonder if it needs some kind of pergola structure so that the stems can grow above, rather than hanging down. I have to do something about it because it is driving me mad! Any advice is very welcome.

1. Tina Schell says:

Truly lovely Jude – I especially liked the anemone.

The Japanese anemones are lovely, though something has been having a nibble on the flowers this year as they have lots of tiny holes. I would like to get a white one too as they are very pretty. Maybe next year for my white bed!

2. I am impressed with your having a notebook – really proper gardeners have these! Absolutely love the Persicaria officinalis. As for the Jasmine, whether white or cream is likes to run away with itself, dropping down at any given moment to root somewhere else. I ‘managed’ one in a friend’s garden but it needed 20 foot walls to swag its way around.

p.s. I lost geraniums in the winter

The only reason I have the notebook is because when I moved here in 2016 I had no idea what was planted in the garden. I think all house sellers should have to provide a plan of their gardens and the plants in it! For a whole year I simply watched and recorded what appeared and I now use that to compare what has changed since. Thanks for the Jasmine advice. I think 🙂

3. We saw Japanese anemones in so many places in Cornwall and I’ve been saying ever since that I want to plant some here. But now you’ve said they like to be near water, perhaps I’d better wait until we actually get some rain.

I think they like moist soil, so as long as you water them they will be fine. I would love to get the white ones.

1. They make such a pretty show.

4. bushboy says:

I so love your garden Jude and the photos of course. I was going to mention the pink challenge too but I was asleep when the other two got in first

Flowers are too easy for the pink challenge. I shall try and find something more unusual. Saying that though I have recently bought a very interesting pink flowering plant.

1. bushboy says:

I am racking my brains for other than pink too. Luckily I have three daughters who could have left some pink things behind. Time for a cupboard search

5. Amy says:

So beautiful! Thank you for introducing these lovely flowers! 💖

You are very welcome Amy 😊

6. March Picker says:

Your lobelia and Japanese anemones top my favorites list! I could stare at that Eupatorium all day, but there’s simply too much to harvest here. A lovely Six, Jude.

Yes, that Lobelia is a star and full of flowers too. I am very happy it came home with me 😀

7. Beautiful Six, as always. I grow a variegated Jasmine on trellis against the back wall of the house, facing south. I cut it to the ground every spring and tuck the new growth in as it emerges. Any that grows too far forward (usually because I’ve missed it and it’s had a free rein) I just cut off. There’s enough of it not to miss a few bits! The flowering is reduced but I grow it more for the leaf colour. The trellis is completely covered by late summer. I’d like to grow a Clematis through it but don’t think it would like it – it’s head would definitely be in the sun but it’s roots wouldn’t be in any shade.

Oh thank you for the lovely comment QG. And for the jasmine advice!

8. pommepal says:

Love the colour of the lobelia and the hemp agrimony reminds me of my out of control hair as I worked in the garden today in a 50km westerly wind. My jasmine is out of control too, winding it’s way up every other plant it can get it’s tentacles too

I saw that Sydney had another weather warning ⚠ for high winds and damaging surf. Goodness knows what you are in for in the summer!

1. pommepal says:

Strong drying winds today so fire fighters season has already started. I think summer is going to be a hot one

9. Lucid Gypsy says:

See your lobelia made me google Hadspen, because I’ve been there. It doesn’t seem to be open any more, a pity as it was a stunning garden.

Looks as though the gardens will reopen to the public though once renovations are complete. The new owner has an amazing place in Stellenbosch. A little expensive for me to stay in though!

10. Jude just back from Cornwall. Had a fantastic time at Sennen, Porthcurno Beach and the Isles of Scilly. Cornwall really is a gardeners paradise.

I’d love a few days in the IoS but the fares there are not cheap.