in my garden | butterflies

(please click on an image to enlarge)

The Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta) and once called Red Admirable,  is always attracted to the Hemp Agrimony which grows in my garden. They perch on the top drinking the nectar for hours. Seriously.  I often wonder if it has a soporific effect on them.

Unlike the White butterflies, these like nothing better than to spread out their wings and absorb the warm sunshine. This butterfly is unmistakable, with the velvety black wings intersected by striking red bands. This butterfly is primarily a migrant to our shores, arriving in May and June from central Europe. The eggs are laid singly on the upper leaves of nettles – usually in the middle of large patches so don’t be too hasty in removing that patch of nettles from your garden.

I just wondered what the wing would look like if I played with an art effect – this is stained-glass – so many colours!

1. susurrus says:

Lovely pictures. I haven’t seen one of these in a long while either, and I look so hopefully for them as they are the archetypal butterfly for me. I saw two on a buddleia yesterday near Malham Tarn and now these. Happy days!

Yes, Buddleia do attract these and the Peacocks, but I have not seen any on the wild plants in the hedgerow around here. Most strange.

2. Another beautiful set of captures. I love the mosaic effect!

I love that too! I just wanted to play with that wing and those colours.

3. Su Leslie says:

I do like the mosaic effect 😀 but your photos are so lovely and bring such a feeling of sunshine to my cold, misty morning.

Quite misty here today Su. Cloud kept coming and going all day! One of the joys of living close to the coast AND high up!

1. Su Leslie says:

Beautiful to watch. I love getting above the low mist when I’m out walking. 😀

Unfortunately we are the high point so usually in the coastal fog, though today we were actually above it.

4. Fantastic Jude. We’ll be calling your the Butterfly Whisperer.

Managed to capture a few more today too!

5. Ah you are so lucky Jude! You already know about my battle with trying to photograp[h butterflies so I needn’t say how envious I am 🙂