Six on Saturday | The Shouty Ones

Last week we had the whites, this week it is the turn of the brights!
I don’t have a ‘hot’ border – I don’t really have borders at all in the conventional sense. I have beds and stone walls with planting. And pots. I still keep my pelargoniums and succulents in pots so I can bring them into the conservatory during the winter. Last year the pelargoniums loved it so much they flowered the whole time.

1. An unknown clematis in bright pink. This year it has flowered a little lower down as I cut it back in February. Unfortunately the other also unknown variety has lots of leaf growth but no flowers as yet. And something has nibbled eaten all the petals of my deep purple Jackmanii ‘Warszawska Nike’
  2. Crocosmia ‘Lucifer’ a rather common one now, this one has grown from a single corm that I removed when cutting down a clump in my mother in law’s garden. It was in a pot for a few years before moving here. Now looking splendid, with 4ft tall leaves and lots of flower spikes. I also have a more orange one which is also tall. Perhaps too tall. Both species are being somewhat overshadowed by the rampant jasmine.
  3. Erigeron glaucus ‘Sea Breeze’  (beach aster or beach daisy, seaside daisy plants)
    This is growing on my sunny wall. I want it to spread and cover it, but I have stupidly planted a climber there which is now growing over the Erigeron. Do I move the climber? Or move the Erigeron? I don’t want to kill either plant.
  4. Nasturtium. This is the common orange variety. It self-seeds every year. I have pulled hundreds of seedlings out, but it is back again. I also have some yellow ones (or did) and a dark red one which I planted. It is supposed to be not such a thug. I do like the fact that the Cabbage White butterflies (large and small) will lay their eggs on them and not the Brassica. As I don’t have any Brassica this year that’s a moot point.
  5. Osteospermum ‘Tresco Purple’. I love my osteospermum. The lovely African daisy or blue-eyed daisy. I had a huge clump last year also growing on the sunny wall, but even though this is one of the hardy varieties it was killed off by the ‘beast from the east’, as was a pretty orange one [sad face]. This is a new plant bought as a plug plant in spring, but I am pleased to see it flowering this year even if only two or three flowers. I know now that if we have a harsh winter to wrap it in fleece. (Then last week I found it and a lilac version at ASDA for only £3.00 each – a bargain – so I bought two!)
  6. My final bright is a spreading Sedum, possibly ‘Dragon’s Blood’ . I have had this plant for years too. It used to grow in a large circular pot and it dies down in winter only to re-appear in the spring. Released from the pot in 2016 I planted it around the edge of my large flat granite rock which retains heat from the sun. The plant has spread all around the rock and this year in all the sunshine is flowering like crazy. I quite fancy one of the Sedum ‘Red Cauli’ variety.

That’s it for now. I am already going through the bulb catalogues ticking off the ones I want. I shall have to drastically prune that list though as I also want some new perennials this autumn. Hey, ho, a garden is never finished is it? Hope everyone is keeping calm in the continued hot weather. We had a lovely shower this morning, so hopefully that means I don’t need to take the hose around the garden today.

1. Elizabeth says:

Before I married my gardening wizard husband, nasturtiums were my go to plant since the packet said they “thrived on neglect” which perfectly described my gardening habits.

They certainly don’t need much attention.

2. March Picker says:

Ah, your colors today just shout out, Jude. News of your continually blooming pelargoniums has me re-thinking the potential of my own greenhouse. Perhaps I’ll try keeping something alive all winter! Ha!

It’s not heated, but the pelargoniums just kept on flowering. I was very surprised and pleased.

3. Lovely bright colors! I don’t have many brights, so I will enjoy yours.
    Glad you are getting a little rain. We are too over here and the flowers love it.

I’m not really into pink, but I do seem to have a lot of pinky-mauve flowers. Not all planted by me I hasten to add. The nasturtiums are invaders, much like the forget-me-nots during the spring.

4. janesmudgeegarden says:

I’m liking that erigeron glaucus very much. I bought E. glaucus ‘Seabreeze’ which is a paler pink and am keen to see what it does come spring. Also the Sedum is very jolly and bright, quite an addition to your garden which looks as though it’s very happy in the current conditions.

Aargh! It IS ‘Sea Breeze’ – where did summer come from? I even labelled the photos correctly! There is a purple one ‘Dunkelste Aller’ and also paler pinks Erigeron ‘Roseus’ or Erigeron Elstead Pink’ Though this one seems to be the one on sale in most nurseries.

5. Love “the shouty ones”. And I also love the way your garden represents members of your family. Like Cathy I’m not a gardener, but I love perking on your evolving garden.

(My closest approach to gardening today was watching J bag up a dozen kurrajong plants, grown from the seed of a street tree in Batemans Bay, for our son to transport to our daughter as he heads north to celebrate our other son’s 40th. Will they survive the journey? the alpacas?)

You not going up? I’m sure the plants will survive the journey, the alpacas might be a different story. She will have to create wire guards around them until they are large enough to survive attacks!

1. No. Warsaw arrives in Sydney the same day, and I’m on collect-from-the-airport duty.

Oh, now that’s exciting. How long are they with you? If you spot Rohan at the airport give him a wave! (Not really very likely, but he does now work for Qantas at the airport). Safe journey 🙂

2. In Australia four weeks. But visiting friends in Sydney and Melbourne. I’ll keep an eye out for Rohan!

6. Joanne Sisco says:

I’m loving all the pinks and purples in this post. My house has a soft pinkish hue so I favour those colours outdoors.
    Your comment about the nasturtium being a thug made me laugh. I could use that word to describe a few things 😉

We too are getting some much needed rain today – the best kind … long and steady that seeps into the ground. It’s a bit of a nice reprieve from the hot and dry weather we’ve had for weeks.

7. Gorgeous colours! I love a bit of hot pink in this glorious weather. Slightly envious of your rain shower though!

Thought we might have another today as the sky was black, but it just melted away.

8. Such beautiful flowers and amazing photography! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for visiting 🙂

9. Tina Schell says:

Sigh—I have such a brown thumb, I envy your gorgeous blossoms Jude!

10. Amy says:

Love this colorful flower images! No flowers under the summer heat right now… Thank you for sharing’! 🙂

Mine are becoming less and less. I am going to struggle to find any flowers for August!