Six on Saturday | The Shouty Ones

Last week we had the whites, this week it is the turn of the brights!
I don’t have a ‘hot’ border – I don’t really have borders at all in the conventional sense. I have beds and stone walls with planting. And pots. I still keep my pelargoniums and succulents in pots so I can bring them into the conservatory during the winter. Last year the pelargoniums loved it so much they flowered the whole time.

1. An unknown clematis in bright pink. This year it has flowered a little lower down as I cut it back in February. Unfortunately the other also unknown variety has lots of leaf growth but no flowers as yet. And something has nibbled eaten all the petals of my deep purple Jackmanii ‘Warszawska Nike’
  2. Crocosmia ‘Lucifer’ a rather common one now, this one has grown from a single corm that I removed when cutting down a clump in my mother in law’s garden. It was in a pot for a few years before moving here. Now looking splendid, with 4ft tall leaves and lots of flower spikes. I also have a more orange one which is also tall. Perhaps too tall. Both species are being somewhat overshadowed by the rampant jasmine.
  3. Erigeron glaucus ‘Sea Breeze’  (beach aster or beach daisy, seaside daisy plants)
    This is growing on my sunny wall. I want it to spread and cover it, but I have stupidly planted a climber there which is now growing over the Erigeron. Do I move the climber? Or move the Erigeron? I don’t want to kill either plant.
  4. Nasturtium. This is the common orange variety. It self-seeds every year. I have pulled hundreds of seedlings out, but it is back again. I also have some yellow ones (or did) and a dark red one which I planted. It is supposed to be not such a thug. I do like the fact that the Cabbage White butterflies (large and small) will lay their eggs on them and not the Brassica. As I don’t have any Brassica this year that’s a moot point.
  5. Osteospermum ‘Tresco Purple’. I love my osteospermum. The lovely African daisy or blue-eyed daisy. I had a huge clump last year also growing on the sunny wall, but even though this is one of the hardy varieties it was killed off by the ‘beast from the east’, as was a pretty orange one [sad face]. This is a new plant bought as a plug plant in spring, but I am pleased to see it flowering this year even if only two or three flowers. I know now that if we have a harsh winter to wrap it in fleece. (Then last week I found it and a lilac version at ASDA for only £3.00 each – a bargain – so I bought two!)
  6. My final bright is a spreading Sedum, possibly ‘Dragon’s Blood’ . I have had this plant for years too. It used to grow in a large circular pot and it dies down in winter only to re-appear in the spring. Released from the pot in 2016 I planted it around the edge of my large flat granite rock which retains heat from the sun. The plant has spread all around the rock and this year in all the sunshine is flowering like crazy. I quite fancy one of the Sedum ‘Red Cauli’ variety.

That’s it for now. I am already going through the bulb catalogues ticking off the ones I want. I shall have to drastically prune that list though as I also want some new perennials this autumn. Hey, ho, a garden is never finished is it? Hope everyone is keeping calm in the continued hot weather. We had a lovely shower this morning, so hopefully that means I don’t need to take the hose around the garden today.

1. pommepal says:

Lovely bright brights Jude. My nasturtium seedlings are rapidly taking over every where, no flowers yet, but spring is not far away now. I will have to trim them away from other plants they are smothering. No a garden is an ever changing pallet, keeps it endlessly interesting

Those nasturtiums self-seed everywhere, but I do enjoy their bright faces and of course you can add the flower petals to a salad. And pickle the seeds I think – use like capers. They also are a reminder of my childhood as they grew in my dad’s gardens.

1. pommepal says:

Mine are slowly spreading everywhere but I love them. I use the leaves (quite a peppery taste) and flowers in salads I’ve heard of pickling the seeds but never tried it

I hadn’t realised you could also use the leaves. I shall give it a go in my next salad.

2. One Man And His Garden Trowel says:

I like that osteospermum. I’m thinking of getting a few more sedums of some sort to cope with the sun in the front garden. All looks very nice.

Well this particular sedum doesn’t seem to mind what the weather does. Though I suspect it dislikes sitting in water. The Red Cauli one is taller and bees and butterflies are attracted to it.

3. When we had a garden I found erigeron very easy to divide and plant. As far as I remember even bits I just stuck in the ground rooted and grew because I created a sort of low hedge as an edge to the garden. I love your photos of the cheerful flowers, such a lovely plant.

I shall try pulling bits out once it stops flowering and move it along a bit. I really thought this was dead as when I bought it the S&S had a good chomp of it thought I thought it would be quite resistant given it seems to grow wild all over the walls down here. For some reason plants that are supposed to be easy to grow / self-seed don’t do that for me 😦

1. Yes, funny how that happens! Best of luck!

I’ll blame you if I kill it 😉

4. fredgardener says:

Pretty nasturtiums with a “radish label” in front of them? ..😉😂 ( maybe I’m wrong ) I also like your osteospermum and I have to add them here.

Haha… not wrong Fred. There are radishes planted in the bed, somewhere, though not growing very well. I have some spare slate roof tiles and after seeing the price of slate plant labels decided I could use them to make my own. A white marker pen is all it takes! And plenty of room to write on too 🙂

5. As I’m not a gardener, I find it hard to find much to say to these posts, but the photos are gorgeous, and I love to walk through someone else’s garden. 🙂

Ah, just enjoy the photos Cathy. 🙂

6. Pit says:

I wish so much we couild have these bright colours in our garden, but between the deer and the massive drought there’s not much we can do here. All the more I like to look at your pictures: thanks for sharing.
    Have a wonderful Sunday,
    Pit

You are very welcome Pit. Just enjoy the photos. At least you don’t have to weed and water the garden 🙂

Lovely colours and plants as usual, Jude.
    One of these days, I must plant something colourful…

I thought you said you had some roses?

At the front, yes. Pink, Yellow, and Red. But I only see them when I leave the house and come back again. 🙂

heehee… that made me laugh. I could just picture you like one of those old weather houses where the man and woman pop in and out of the door. (Do they have a name?) I have no idea why that image popped into my head!

I have no idea what the roses are called. One was given to me when my Mum died, and another called a ‘Birthday Rose’, when I was 60.

And the front ‘garden’ is just a tiny strip between the beech hedges and the house, so doesn’t encourage spending time there. 🙂 x

Seems to me you should move the roses to the back garden then.

Hose? Hose, Jude? Ours manages on a few watering cans full. 🙂 🙂 Not my job, usually! And we’ve had quite a lot of cloud cover, unlike my Norfolk friends who are all parched. 😦 We have that crocosmia and it does get very leggy, but I hate to see it staked up.

What’s wrong with a hose Jo? No water restrictions here so far. No meter. And watering cans are heavy! Even Cornwall is looking a little yellow. But I am enjoying the sunshine (none today though 😦 )

I knew you’d say they were heavy. 🙂 He’s out there now, watering up. Better remind him to feed my zucchini 🙂

Well there you go – you are not the one carrying the can!! And the bloke has a dodgy shoulder too!

And two arms 🙂 🙂

And I do cook the tea while he does it 🙂

Which reminds me…

9. Pete Hillman says:

All are stunning, Jude!

Thanks Pete. A very uncoordinated garden.

1. Pete Hillman says:

I think they are the best types of garden! 🙂

10. Gorgeous vivid clouts, Jude. What a dilemma over the lovely pink Summer Breeze or the climber. I’m sure the wall will be magnificent when covered in those pink daisiy flowers.

I shall try and rescue it Sylvia! How’s life in SA going? Having fun with the family still?

1. I’m so glad. Yes having a great time with family and friends.