Six on Saturday | Wimbledon Whites

For the Wimbledon finals weekend it seemed fitting to choose six white flowers. Fortunately I have six in flower this week, I do have some white sweet peas but they were late to germinate and go out into the garden this year so I am still waiting for them to flower. Meanwhile I have two empty beds as I cleared out the Mallow flowers featured a few weeks ago  – they were pretty much finished with flowering and had also developed a very ugly looking rust. Any suggestions of what to put in for the rest of the summer?

From the new ‘White’ bed this year I have a few for the vase, though I actually rarely cut any flowers for inside other than sweet peas.

(click on any image to view larger)

1. Cosmos bipinnatus  ‘Psyche’ – a ruffled variety semi-double flowers and a lovely deep yellow centre, if you look closely the inner petals are very silky.  A lot taller than previous Cosmos I have had, but then until now they have always been in pots.
  2. Scabiosa ‘White’ (Pincushion flower) – which start off green and the develop a creamy centre before all the petals open up. I am astonished to see that even the stamens are white. Another very tall plant which I have had to stake in my windy garden.
  3. Ammi Majus (Bishop’s Flower) – Another tall flower, full of blooms and has been for several weeks now. Very similar to Cow Parsley, but perhaps more sophisticated.
  4. Achillea millefolium (Common Yarrow). Leaving the ‘White Garden’ behind the next white I have is a weed. One you probably don’t want in your lawn, but fortunately mine grows on top of the low granite wall. I am thinking of digging it up this year and planting something more interesting.
  5. In the area close to the ‘Zen Patio’ which I think might have contained a pond once upon a time is Filipendula ulmaria (Meadowsweeta perennial herb in the family Rosaceae that grows in damp meadows. Also known as Bridewort, Meadow Queen and Meadow Wort. Meadowsweet was a celebrated herb in Celtic times, representing the Flowerbride, otherwise known as “Blodeuwedd” – the maiden aspect of the triple goddess. Used to attract love, peace and happiness it was often added to a bridal bouquet. I think I’d better keep this one! Not entirely white, more of an ivory colour with a slight musky scent. It comes with a list of medicinal benefits too.

6. And moving into the north-facing courtyard we find the final white of the month, my Dad’s White Mop-head Hydrangea. He gave me a cutting of this plant probably over 30 years ago. I grew it in my garden for 15 years and when I moved I took a small rooted cutting with me. It has been in pots for the last 15 years and this year is looking better than ever. I really need to get it out of the pot it has been in for the last 7 years and into the garden, but I’m not sure after all this time it will even come out! I do top it up with compost every couple of years, but have never fed it.

As the flowers mature they take on a pink tinge and by autumn are almost totally dark pink.

And if you are getting a little weary of the warm weather and the impact it is having on your garden then have a look at the Garden Rules below and have yourself a very happy and relaxing weekend 🙂

Nice shots indeed, Jude, and I love your ‘garden rules’ too.
    Enjoy your tennis, I never watch it anymore. 🙂

You watching the footie then? I lost interest in that years ago.

No, I don’t watch any sport at all, so have not watched the world cup. I think all sport should be on separate channels, just for sport. 🙂
        My stepson has been watching the matches though, hence why I have done so much blogging!

Oh. Still with you then. Was hoping life had moved on for you all.

Julie has started at the GP surgery now. She likes it there so far. 🙂 x

Well that’s good news. Hope it continues to go well.

2. pommepal says:

I have never seen a double cosmos and I loved this white one Jude, white flowers are quite special I think

Most of these are annuals and I have decided too much work for me at this stage. I am going to rethink the beds for next year and get more perennials and shrubs. I don’t usually have white flowers, but must admit they do look very romantic.

3. janesmudgeegarden says:

Your post is frothy and almost bridal this week! The cosmos and scabiosa are both very pretty, I think. Note to self: more white flowers needed in garden. I’m far from home, but -7C forecast overnight there. I hope my garden will still be alive when I get home in a week’s time.

It is certainly a change from my usual ‘dark’ side.

4. I’ve never seen frilled cosmos like your white ones. Mr ET likes to grow them – we need to do some research. They are very pretty.

They are lovely, but I like the deep pink ones more. And I need to replace my lovely chocolate cosmos (perennials) that I lost to the ‘Beast from the East’.

5. March Picker says:

Your whites are refreshing and beautiful. Garden whites hold a special place in my heart. Never met a white hydrangea I didn’t love, and yours is no exception!

Thanks MP – first time I have grown whites ‘en masse’ as it were.

Thanks Cindy 🙂

6. Tish Farrell says:

What a lovely soothing study in white. Much lusting after the cosmos and scabious.

The scabious is a delight – so many flowers and seems to be coping in the wind too. I’d like to try the blue one. The cosmos flowers don’t last long, but there are also lots of new buds.

1. Tish Farrell says:

I have pink-mauve cosmos and the flowers only seem to last a day. But as long as one dead-heads they seem to keep steaming ahead. I have a blue scabious. It’s just started flowering. But there is a wonderful wild powder blue coloured one up on Windmill Hill. Would love it to seed in my direction 🙂

Better head up there with an envelope 🙂

7. Pete Hillman says:

You have captured those whites beautifully, Jude. Lovely photos.

Thank you Pete. Took the macro lens for a walk around the garden 🙂

You know I like ‘showy’ 🙂 🙂 The cosmos and scabious are wonderful. Don’t think I want to talk about the tennis any more. Sad face 😦

They are a change from my usual planting, but I may not repeat the experiment. New ideas for next year. I’m sad too as I didn’t want Djokovic in the final, his bouncing drives me bonkers. Glad Kerber won too, she deserved it after her performance throughout the championship. OK I’ll shut up now,

9. Su Leslie says:

Beautiful flowers and shots Jude. I do like your garden rules, though I suspect the Big T would baulk at the “if you can only do one thing …” rule. He mows our lawn (about 900 sq m of it including a very wide verge) and would probably rather have a rule that involves replacing lawn with flower beds or vege gardens — something I take responsibility for.