Welcome the ‘Sky Painter’ #2

Climbing up to the top of Trencrom Hill at 9 p.m is easy on a midsummer’s night (why is it midsummer when summer only began on 1st or 21st June depending whether you go by the meteorological or astronomical seasons, mid year would make more sense) as the sun is still in the sky. Coming back down is a little trickier though as it is well and truly dusk and yet still the sky is lit up at 10:30 p.m.

Pink sky and a waxing gibbous moon on Trencrom Hill

Another cracker, Jude, made extra special by the stone mound too.
    I agree with your point. It should me ‘Mid-Year Day’. (Or perhaps nothing at all?) 🙂

Thanks Pete. Having a showery day today, but the ground is still very dry.

2. janesmudgeegarden says:

I can’t imagine the sky being so light at 10.30.

It is odd, but I really love the light evenings, which is why during winter when it is dark by 5 pm I am very miserable.

You and me both, Jude….

Oh! What magnificent colours!

I especially like those pink flowers in the foreground. It’s a lovely shot, Jude. 🙂 🙂 Watching Wimbledon? I despair of Dimitrov. What’s happening with him?

6 hour power cut yesterday has put me way out of sync with the blog and Wimbledon! Not seen any exciting matches yet.

Oh, the flowers were foxgloves, but the light from the setting sun really created odd colours!

I thought maybe foxgloves. Glad you’ve surfaced. I resorted to Whatsapp this evening, wondering if you were ok. 🙂 🙂

Strange how isolated you become without power. We were contemplating going to the pub for dinner when the power resumed.

5. Oh how I love “waxing gibbous moon”! Another spectacular sunset made more so by that pile in the foreground.

A lovely old pile 🙂

6. Really gorgeous!

It is very nice up there with the 360 degree view.

7. pommepal says:

Beautiful rock formation really enhances this wonderful sky

The rocks always make photos interesting up there.

8. Spectacular! I’ve often wondered about midsummer too – if summer is June July August it should really be the middle of July. Ah well, doesn’t do to be too logical. Midsummer sounds so much more romantic than mid-year.

It does indeed, and if we take summer to be from May to August then it is correct. I guess over time we have messed around with what the seasons actually are.

9. Lucid Gypsy says:

I’m glad you climbed the hill to capture this loveliness, the foxgloves add a touch of magic to the sky-blue-pink. Our actual summers when the temperature rises seem to begin later now. When I was little summer dresses went on right at the beginning of April and the sun shone every day, or is that me only remembering the good bits?

I think you may have selective memory Gilly! My summer dresses were never worn until June (and I loathed them as I was strictly a shorts and T shirt girl). My mother took the saying “Ne’er cast a clout ’till May is out” seriously. May being the month to her!