Changing Seasons – June

Month six of my photographer’s nature journal.

A slight change this month. The lanes have changed from the frothy outpouring of the lacy cow parsley with the creamy-white blooms of the elderflower now in evidence and for a while they were glorious in pink and purple. Foxgloves, Red Campion and Valerian ruled the roads. Until the verge cutters came along and scythed it all to the ground.

So I popped over to the coast to capture nature along the cliffs of Cornwall and something I didn’t expect to see…

Lizard Peninsula (Kynance Cove)

Astonishingly, nearly half the British native flora can be found here, including fifty five rare and special species such as Twin-headed Clover (Trifolium bocconei) and Wild Chives (Allium schoenoprasum). Rare lichens also abound, including the beautiful Ciliate Strap Lichen (Heterodermia leucomela) and Golden Hair Lichen (Teloschistes flavicans).

I think these are some Ciliate Strap Lichens along with some pale grey crustose lichens.

I didn’t find any of the Golden-hair lichens, but I did find some pretty pink thrift, yellow kidney vetch ( Granny’s Pin-cushions, Lady’s Slipper, Lady’s Fingers, Woundwort, Butter Fingers, Lamb’s-foot) and Chamaemelum nobile (English Chamomile, Low Chamomile, Ground Apple, Roman Chamomile) as well as some Bird’sfoottrefoil and pretty blue Sheep’s Bit, the tiny white flowers of  Minuartia verna  (Spring Sandwort, Vernal Stitchwort, Vernal Sandwort) and some purple flowering wild thyme. I was also lucky enough to be able to capture a photo of a Common Blue Butterfly as one came to rest on the clover close to my feet.

Some that I haven’t come across before are the delicate pink flowers, Centaurium erythraea – Common Centaury;  the fluffy white Filipendula vulgaris – Dropwort or Fern-leaf Dropwort, which is like a miniature version of what I have growing in my garden; and that bright yellow (Genista tinctoria), Dyer’s Greenweed, or dyer’s broom, which at first I thought was bird’s-foot-trefoil until I studied the flower more carefully. Now that is apparently quite rare, though not here it seems.

I spent a good couple of hours simply wandering along the top of the cliffs here on a beautiful warm June day. And the surprise? An almost naked walker. I kid you not. After he passed by with a friendly “Good morning” I was left wondering how come the thong didn’t chafe him as he strode along the coastal path.

The Changing Seasons | June

Thanks for not including a photo of the man in his thong, Jude. 🙂
    As for the rest, delightful of course, and educational too, in my case.

I’m in agreement, Pete!

Some things are best left to the imagination!

Wouldn’t want to spoil your breakfast Pete 😉

2. janesmudgeegarden says:

What an amazing selection of wild grasses and flowers you have with such a lot of colour and a wide variety in a small space. I expect we have plenty here too, but I’ve never been very aware of them. Obviously I should have looked more carefully when we had the olive farm. Too busy picking, pruning, mowing I suppose! It must be a measure of the warm weather you’ve been having for a chap to be walking along the cliffs in a thong.

I probably took wild flowers for granted until several years ago when we moved to a place where the countryside was only 5 minutes walk from our door. Then I started being interested in photographing flowers too. The chap in his thong gave me quite a turn I can tell you. Not the norm around here!

All things bright and beautiful, Jude. Well, maybe not the thong… x

Definitely not the thong, Jo!!

And a bright and beautiful walk for you on Friday Jo.

Sounds great Jude. We have a viewing on Friday and on the morning we’re meeting Andrew Petcher in our marina xx

Good luck with the viewing. As you know it only takes one person to buy the house! Have fun with Andrew. Have you not met him before? He seems to spend a lot of time in Spain and Portugal.

No never. I’ll be the first blogger he’s ever met so I’ll have to behave myself xx

Well the way you two chat on the blogs you must know a lot about each other already, and he will know how naughty you can be! Just offer him cake 🙂

4. bushboy says:

Thanks for taking me on your walk Jude

You are very welcome Brian, as long as you are not wearing a thong!

1. bushboy says:

Now that would be telling 😉 plus it’s Winter here

5. Ali says:

Gorgeous post, Jude. I was hoping to see common blue butterflies on my walk on Sunday, but didn’t see any! Amazing that this part of the coast has so many species!

A bit like the Cape Peninsula I suppose – remote and unspoiled.

6. pommepal says:

What an amazing variety of wild flowers Jude, lovely to have a record of them on your post and that beautiful blue butterfly is so delicate looking

They are very, very small too PP and flutter by so quickly!

1. pommepal says:

You were very clever to get such a good photo

Quick reactions! Got some better ones on Monday of a similar butterfly.

7. Pete Hillman says:

Fabulous photos of what sounds like a most lovely trip to the coast. Just glad you didn’t get a shot of the almost naked hiker and his thong, lol! 🙂 I had a good laugh reading that, thank you, Jude 🙂

Who says I didn’t get a photo? 😉 😉

8. Oh no, I was reading that thinking “how pretty” until I got to the last bit, and now I have an image in my head I can’t shake! You really are naughty – send mind bleach.

Hahaha… sorry Anabel, imagine how I felt as he came towards me!

1. I would not have known where to look! Horrific.

His face Anabel, you would have looked at his face. And smiled. And say “Hello” 🙂

2. Hmm, I fear my composure would let me down.

9. Joanne Sisco says:

What does it say about me that I’m disappointed there isn’t a photo of the thong-walker? 😆
    I’m hoping you get a 2nd chance to make this right 😉

I did get a photo Jo, but consensus is that I let you lot use your imagination!!

1. Joanne Sisco says:

Well done, Jude! You have the instincts of a photographer!! I would have been so busy gawking I wouldn’t have thought of my camera until it was too late 😉

Must admit I didn’t take one as he approached me, only from behind if you know what I mean…

2. Joanne Sisco says: