Six on Saturday | Roses

I have inherited three roses – two white ones in the back garden, one which I think is a climber but having been covered by the rampant jasmine has a very spindly stem from which I have managed to get it to develop shoots and stems and layer them on the fence so that this year I have about 24 buds. And another more upright white rose. In the courtyard a very pretty pale pink rose climbs up the wall of the house, the flowers becoming paler as they mature and they have a very faint scent. And three roses that I brought with me. Gertrude Jekyll which is now in the ground and looking much healthier – 6 buds this year, a lilac rose still in a pot and looking very sick and a red patio rose, also in a pot and also needs some attention.  I will get some photos of them, but for now I want to show you some from elsewhere.

These six beauties come from Bonython Estate Garden on the Lizard peninsula which I visited last week and was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the walled garden with its purple border. More on that once I get around to editing all the photos. No names, but some very pretty roses.

The rest of the garden is pretty good too!

1. March Picker says:

You have a nice variety there, Jude. What a pretty way to start summer!

Oh, how lovely!

A lovely garden and very quiet too. Shall get a post sorted eventually!

Lovely roses, Jude. We have three varieties at the front of the house. Red, Yellow, and Pink. 🙂

4. Ali says:

Beautiful. The one on your title especially. It looks like ‘Hansa’ or ‘Roseraie de l’Hay’.

5. fredgardener says:

Wow: not only the roses are wonderful but also your choice for the arrangement in the collage … gorgeous!

Thanks Fred. 🙂

6. Here I was thinking we were all going to play a game to identify your mystery roses for you. But these ones are lovely too, particularly the rose in your main collage photo. Isn’t it pretty the way the bud is so dark and by the time the rose is full blown the pink is so delicate it’s barely there. I just gave my roses their winter haircut and they look very bare. Good rain is forecast for this week, first time in months, so they might appreciate a nice drink.

1. pommepal says:

Yes I’m keeping my fingers crossed for the forecasted rain due tues

Mine are white. Could be anything. But I will take a photo or two. The ones in the courtyard start out deep pink in bud and then fade to almost white. They are quite pretty and slightly fragrant too. OK. It’s a still day so I shall go and get some photos for you.

1. I wonder could they be pink Icebergs?

7. janesmudgeegarden says:

No doubt about the impact of a collage of roses. They look quite sumptuous as roses do. I look forward to your post about the garden.

I hope to get there this week! But sun is forecast and gardens are calling me…

8. pommepal says:

Love to see roses on the blog and these are a lovely selection. I miss them over here

I like seeing them, but happy for someone else to do all the pruning and feeding etc.

1. pommepal says:

Yes they are hard work

9. I love the colour combination in the top row of your collage – the purples/pinks and the yellow.

The same purple (or blue rose) but at different stages of life. The older it was the darker the colour.