Six on Saturday | Mid June Edition

A quick look around the garden with more plants beginning to flower this month as the temperature climbs.

1. Another blue hardy geranium and one which I bought myself last year from Burncoose nursery. I have of course lost the name. Slightly paler than last week’s version and with a white eye. Looks lovely intermingling with the pale pink one around the ‘bird bath’.
  2. Dianthus plumarius ‘ Mrs Sinkins’ (I think this is what it is called) next to the blue-mauve Campanula portenschlagiana (Dalmatian bellflower) which featured last week and is flowering even more extensively now.  The Dianthus is an inherited plant and was flowering in early June when we first saw this property and garden. It isn’t flowering as well this year, I think the ‘Beast from the East’ may have something to do with that. The Campanula has travelled with me for many years, finally released to do its own thing once we moved in two years ago.
  3. Hosta. I have long-forgotten the name of this hosta or  even when I bought it. It has been in a container for years though and appeared in photos in 2006. Occasionally receiving a top-up mulch it probably badly needs dividing, but I have no idea how I can physically remove it from this pot. Sadly it does get munched by the S&S even though I have used all sorts of deterrents: including copper, eggshells, gravel, and organic slug pellets. The snails often get onto the leaves by other means though as the leaves are large and hang down. Last year I used a garlic spray, but the snails continued chomping delighted with the garlic sauce. Now there’s a thought…
  4. Weeping Buddliea alternifolia. Originating from China, this large deciduous shrub or small tree has arching branches that nearly touch the floor and produces clusters of sweetly scented purple-lilac flowers along it’s weeping branches. I had this in a container before moving here and it didn’t produce many flowers. This year is the best it has been, but I will need to prune out some of the crossing branches after flowering to bring it back into shape. And it really needs staking!
    I have seen it in a garden looking much more graceful than it does in mine.
  5. Heuchera (Coral Bells) – ‘Marmalade’ and ‘Lime Marmalade’
    I have had both of these plants for several years,  again growing in containers until my move. I have split the plants and tried them in several different locations. They seem happiest along the ‘Woodland border’ where they are in shade most of the year and appear to be happy with their neighbours (ferns and hardy geraniums). This year they have been joined by several reddish Heucheras, a Heucherella and a Tiarella. Though the latter was planted under the weeping willow and didn’t do too well. I have since moved it from that location, but may still move it again if it doesn’t start to romp away. Apparently the deeper colours should be grown in sunlight and the paler ones do well in shade.
  6. Crinodendron hookerianum (Chile Lantern tree) an evergreen shrub or small tree, with leathery, dark green leaves and nodding, urn-shaped flowers in the leaf axils. When I moved here this was a spindly thing totally covered by the Goat Willow tree it is planted next to. I have pruned that tree and removed a lot of the lower branches to leave a canopy and I tied the thin branches of the Chile lantern in a layered style along the fence until recently when I released them to see if now it can make its way upwards.

It does add an exotic feel to the garden. And I’d really like more exotic looking hardy plants.

I used to have some nice Hostas in London. But I came back from a holiday once, and they had all been eaten alive by slugs or snails, or whatever. It felt like a bereavement. 🙂

Yes, mine is slowly being munched again… sigh! There are a few that are supposedly S&S resistant. I might see if I can track them down as I do rather like hostas.

2. Ali says:

Such an exciting selection of plants! Your garden is looking lush, Jude.

And very wind-blown at the moment!

3. fredgardener says:

Wow ! White dianthus with blue campanula … a nice mix!
    I tried to sow Crinodendron a few years ago but without success. I have to make another attempt (or buy a shrub, easier ..) I do like this shrub, so exotic- looking

I have seen them a quite large trees, mine will struggle to do as well. It is planted too close to other trees, but not a lot I can do about that.

4. Elizabeth says:

Hostas thrive here for whatever reason. They form a border between my house and my daughter’s next door. Finally warm enough for my husband to plant the annual bed. I always want a bounty of zinnia and cosmos and he obligingly plants the seeds each June. He prefers bulbs and perennials, but knows I love my summer displays.

Cosmos are lovely flowers, I’m afraid the S&S would eat the zinnias, as they do the hostas. I prefer perennials really as they are less work!

1. Elizabeth says:

We actually have no slugs here in New England. I certainly don’t miss them. In Oregon we had saucers of beer all over the garden to drown the pests.

I have tried that, but not successfully. Is it because NE gets so very cold that they are killed off? Or is the soil very light and free draining?

2. Elizabeth says:

I really don’t know. I would guess the freeze. We certainly have plenty of bogs and marsh

5. Jude, your garden must be glorious at the moment. I see these beautiful images while it’s chilly outside and feel inspired to do more in my garden before summer comes. I must take action this year!

Bits of it are looking good, but I’m not satisfied yet. Give me another couple of years, maybe!

6. janesmudgeegarden says:

A beautiful glimpse into your garden, Jude. I love the dianthus/campanula combination, it’s so fresh. I have never seen a buddliea like yours, it’s gorgeous with its lengthy racemes. And the Chilean Lantern tree is very exotic with its flowers like jewels.

I need to shape my Buddleja so it performs like that, mine is like a bad-hair day, sticks out all over the place!

7. I really enjoy these glimpses into your garden – it must be a lovely, colourful place. Despite the snails and slugs your hosta still looks very healthy. 🙂

Did Elaine. Did…

Exactly…

8. Pete Hillman says:

Your garden is looking awesome, Jude! The colours and variety of planting is interesting and beautiful. I like Hostas, but the ‘Slimy Ones’ like them more and despite my best efforts by the end of the season they look like they have been machine-gunned good and proper!

This photo was last week. Already there are many more holes in the leaves 😦

That dianthus blends well with the campanula, Jude, and I really like the Chile Lantern tree. All blooming beautifully 🙂 🙂

They were; a little flattened at the moment from the overnight rain and wind.

10. pommepal says:

How pretty your garden must look Jude, and how happy all your plants will be to be out of their pots

They certainly do like being free! Pots are now confined to the flowers I need to bring inside during the winter.

1. pommepal says:

Flowers in pots are very handy to move around for spot colour

Plus I can grow things that aren’t suited to my wet and heavy soil. Just had to pull out at least a dozen borage seedlings from the raised bed! They do take over somewhat!