Changing Seasons – March

Month three of my photographer’s nature journal.

What an unexpected start to the month! March began with the sort of weather I never expected to see in Cornwall, especially this far west. The sprinkling of snow we had on 6th February was nothing compared to the several inches that arrived on the frigid winds from Siberia on the last day of February, lingering into early March. Although beautiful to look at, my heart sank at the knowledge that several of my less than hardy plants would not welcome these below zero temperatures.

The winds that accompanied the snow blew drifts several feet high in places. I even saw snow lying in the hedgerow on 9th March when I went for a walk along the lanes to see if anything was growing.

The Lesser Celandines (Ranunculus ficaria) were still opening their golden faces to the sun and daffodils held their heads proudly along the stone wall leading to the dairy. The wild montbretia has suffered though and what was growing and fresh green now slumped in a soggy brown mush in mid-March. And camellias which should have been pink, were now brown. Not the most photogenic subject.

The birds were busy feeding non-stop in the cold weather and I was filling the feeders twice a day. Starlings came to feed on the suet and a pair of collared doves enjoyed the sunflower seeds. I was worried when only one of the doves began visiting as up until then I only ever saw them in a pair. I was relieved when they both returned to my garden on Mother’s Day (11th), a welcome gift. Chaffinches and sparrows still appear to be the most prolific birds here, though blue-tits, great-tits, pied-wagtails, robins and the occasional blackbird, dunnock and little brown wren venture into the garden, I even spotted a goldfinch this month.

On 18th March the wretched snow arrived again! This time it only stayed for a day, but again the below freezing temperatures managed to finish off what had gingerly recovered from the first blast.

The country lanes showed little sign of spring this month with many cool and grey days until the very end.

P3080014
A blue sky day accompanied by a frigid wind.

I shall leave you with this poem that could not be more apt, brought to my attention by Sally of My Beautiful Things, a true Cornish lady.

Early Spring

Harshness vanished. A sudden softness
has replaced the meadows’ wintry grey.
Little rivulets of water changed
their singing accents. Tendernesses,

hesitantly, reach toward the earth
from space, and country lanes are showing
these unexpected subtle risings
that find expression in the empty trees.

~ Rainer Maria Rilke [1875-1926]

The Changing Seasons | March

1. janesmudgeegarden says:

The first photo, whilst not of a desirable weather event, is really beautiful and I could almost feel cold just looking at it.

It was very cold! I wasn’t expecting snow when we moved here. Fortunately we have a lovely wood-burner and under-floor heating.

2. Have I said before I love this series? And admire you because you’re consistently doing it – that admiration from someone who often loses impetus in projects. The poem is a great addendum.

The poem was just so apt. I struggled this month as I didn’t get out very far to look in the hedgerows. Hoping April will turn up something interesting. Already seen several buzzards.

3. Leo says:

Beautyful pictures…👌

Ah, that wall of daffs! Very nice 🙂 🙂 The run off from the hills on our walk down at Cod Beck reservoir last Monday was unbelievable. I’ve never seen so much trickling water. Definitely no hose pipe bans this year 🙂

Cod Beck – how very Yorkshire! Yes, I thought you’d like to see the daffodil wall, it is a pretty sight.

It was one of the worst starts to Spring in years, I agree. And over here, Spring still feels a long way off. We have some blue tits nesting in the box on the oak tree though. 🙂
    Best wishes, Pete.

Oh, how lovely to have the birds nesting. I haven’t put any nesting boxes up. I think the neighbour’s cats would simply lie in wait.

The local cats do show interest, but the box is high up. 🙂

6. Tish Farrell says:

A lovely round up, Jude. And you did squares for your spring gallery! It all looks so heartening. The daffodil wall also reminds me of Cornwall’s wild flower-filled hedgerows. Any time now…

The hedgerows are looking pretty denuded around here. The farmer has been and hacked down the hedges and the wild crocosmia is brown 😦

1. Tish Farrell says:

Oh dear. Sure all will revive though, especially the crocosmia.

I’m sure that will return! I have some in my courtyard which was a beautiful spring green, then a brown mush, but the green is returning.

2. Tish Farrell says:

I have tried killing it! The over-spill that is. V. difficult.

Just got to keep digging all the corms out!

7. I know firsthand your weather struggles; we have them too on the East Coast of the U.S. At least it looks like spring is coming in all its colorful evanescence now! I love the poem, too. 🙂

The poem is lovely isn’t it? I really ought to read more poetry.

1. Me too, Jude. I wish I could write it myself. I’m going to try, but it will never be like the real poets. 🙂

I have written some in the distant past, but not for many years and it was probably pretty rubbish anyway!

2. Me too, Jude. I have a whole collection and they were fun to write, but it’s doubtful they were any good.

8. I get that snow can be annoying but as someone who rarely ever sees any, it does look so pretty in your photos.

When it falls and is deep and crisp and even it does look lovely and also there is a hush that is different to any other silence. Causes havoc with transport systems over here though.

9. Your photos are lovely. The poor plants have had a lot to contend with this year – I hope that’s the end of the freezing weather.

Me too! Supposed to be getting warmer this week. But still scattered showers.

1. Fingers crossed for the warmer temperatures. 🙂

Oh, marvellous squares in the round, as it were…Like Jo, I love that daffodil wall! Here’s to a soon burgeoning Spring, Jude!

I have the camera set to 1:1 so all my photos are square at the moment, unless I remember to change the ratio before clicking!

I keep meaning to do that…..