in my garden | signs of spring

Some signs of spring in the garden this weekend. One orange tulip which is from the ones I planted last year and I believe is ‘Orange Emperor’ and another in bud which is from my new selection. A few stalwart pansies have survived the snow, though the ones in the north-facing courtyard are looking less perky. The pussy willow has puffed up and now full of pollen, Myosotis or forget-me-nots are already opening their faces to the sun: such pretty pale blue with the contrasting yellow eye. And new to the garden this year are the dainty and crinkled Narcissus ‘Rip van Winkle’ a dwarf daffodil who seems to like hiding his star-like head and next to him is Chionodoxa forbesii ‘Blue’ commonly known as Glory of the Snow which I planted in my ‘woodland border’ where it will hopefully spread; bottom right is the lovely  Muscari armeniacum, a deep-blue grape hyacinth currently in a shallow terracotta pot.

In spite of all the winter weather thrown at them, my bulbs seem to have come through surprisingly well. So far.

Too wet to investigate here today. The hellebores were doing well and we have some very pretty pansy window boxes but I wouldn’t blame anything for giving up the ghost in this xx

No snow your way then?

Hopefully we’ve missed it. Cold enough but it’s just very wet. 😦

Likewise. And foggy, Couldn’t see the hill earlier.

Marvellous! Lovely to see a bit of colour, it’s so drab here….

Drab here too today, totally in the cloud! These photos were taken on Friday when I had about 2 hours to do some gardening.

We have some daffs out, but otherwise it is just grey, and constant rain. The river has flooded, so my dog walk was mostly aquatic!

I think I might have to redesign my garden as a bog garden! Just make one big pond!

4. The orange tulip is a real stand-out, what a beautiful colour!

They were incredible last year, a little early this year I think, but I’ll take what I get as I don’t expect tulips to flower the following year.

5. desleyjane says:

Marvellous. What an array of beautiful colour.

They look lovely all together, unfortunately they are scattered around the garden so they don’t make quite as much impact. Still, very nice to see some colour.

6. Elizabeth says:

Three inches of snow this morning. But the pansies look ok.

Pansies are tough little things. I hope mine manage to produce some flowers as the weather warms up.

7. janesmudgeegarden says:

So sorry you’re still having dreadful weather over there: it seems relentlessly miserable. But you took some gorgeous photos despite it all. The colours are so intense.

When the sun shines and the sky is blue the light down here is exceptionally clear and bright. I have learned to make the most of those times 🙂

Thank you Brian. Mother nature doing her thing 🙂

8. Lucid Gypsy says:

It’s early for tulips, lovely 🙂

Looking back at last year’s post the tulips in the front started in March and lasted for ages. And these orange ones started to open at the beginning of April. So they must be early-flowering varieties. So nice to see them again.

9. All so pretty. I’ve tried several times to grow grape hyacinth with no success, so I will just enjoy yours instead. Hopefully you’ve seen the last of the bitter weather.

Maybe they like a bit of cold? I have some paler ones but they aren’t quite out yet.