up on the hill

I have been neglecting ‘my’ hill for months having obsessed over it during my first year of living down here. Last year Godrevy lighthouse became the object of my obsession and so far this year I haven’t found anything to usurp the lighthouse.

A Beatific Smiling Prehistoric Monster

Last week we had a brief interlude of a day without rain or showers and took advantage of that to take a stroll around the local lanes and in my case up to Trencrom hill. It must be four months since I was last up here, and boy did it feel good, despite the undignified way I had to get up it. I usually approach the hill from the side nearest my house. It is less steep and no clambering over boulders is required. However, from the side where the NT car park is situated, it is another thing altogether. For a start the track was ankle-deep with churned mud and water. Getting off the track meant stepping into sponge-like, boggy grass designed to swallow your feet whole.

Negotiating boulders, gorse and brambles

Following this approach means you have to walk up a sloping, granite boulder, which on this day, was imitating a stream. After navigating that comes a step. A very deep step. One which no matter how hard I try I cannot simply step up onto it. My hips seem to have seized at some point so that lifting my leg high is now practically impossible. Still with a bit of hands down and using them to push off I managed that hurdle. Further on came another challenge with more granite rocks and displaced root runners designed to trip me up. Hands down again and grabbing hold of any foliage close by, I finally crawled my way to the top.

Phew! I shan’t be taking that route again.

It felt good to be on the top again. The 360°  views over Cornwall towards Carn Brea to the north, Godolphin and Tregonning hills in front of me, Trink Hill, Wheal Alice and the farms behind, St Michael’s Mount and Mount Bay on my right side, and the wide stretch of Hayle’s sandy beaches looking very wintry on my left.

The ground was spongy, causing me to be aware of where I was treading so as not to sink as I wandered around the top, taking five minutes out to sit on a granite rock and admire the views.

The rocks glowed in the late afternoon sun and the wind held off whilst I was up there and I felt a huge sense of satisfaction in having made it to the top; once my heart rate had returned to normal.

Daily Post Photo Challenge | Tour Guide

I was right behind you, Jude, pushing and tugging! Well scrambled, young lady! 🙂 🙂 It sounds treacherous and not at all a pleasant experience but what a reward! Love your Honey Monster 🙂 Did you get back down the same way?

The intention was to continue the walk around the base, but we hit a lot of mud, so up seemed the better option. I went down my usual route 🙂

2. It was worth the effort to be able to share these amazing views with us.

There are easier ways up!

1. So you can cross this route off your list now. 😊

I have done this one before and know not to use it, but it was a case of ‘needs must’. It’s not so bad in the dry, and in hiking boots, except for that one step.

3. Tish Farrell says:

I feel as though I’ve just had a lovely big burst of fresh Cornish air. What views, Jude. Thank you for all that intrepid scrambling on our behalf 🙂

Great shots, Jude. Your struggle to get there reminded me of the current daily walks with Ollie, even on flat ground. Pulling my boots out of the mud with each step, and them being sucked into muddy pools of water that look like puddles to the unwary. Despite the cold, the ground refuses to freeze this year.
    But one sign of spring is that there are now sheep on Hoe Rough.
    Best wishes, Pete.

I knew it would be muddy after all the rain we have had this winter, which is why I have avoided the hill, but it was a case of carry on regardless or turn back. And I hate going back the same way. I do hope this wet weather stops soon!

Pouring with rain here as I type!

Here too, sigh…. all day long.

Wonderful views, great landscape… And at least you can still get up there, dignified or not…Dignity is the least of my issues

6. What a gorgeous walk, Jude, with such sweeping views. I love the light in these photos. It seems you’ve also changed your WordPress Theme. This one is wonderful. 🙂

Thank you Cathy. Changed the garden one and liked it so much that I changed this one too 🙂

7. Peter Klopp says:

At the end of your laborious climb to the top of the hill, you were rewarded with that magnificent view and the opportunity to take those lovely shots to share with us.

I must add that this is a very short climb, just that I’m not that agile anymore.

8. Lynn says:

Oh my gosh Jude, these views are spectacular! Thanks fir make the effort to show them to us!

My favourite view in Cornwall Lynn. Just not so easy to access in the winter months.

9. Anabel Marsh says:

Beautiful! But the ascent contains all the things I hate in a walk: mud, boulders and a steep climb.

Yes. I am definitely a fair weather walker! Slip-sliding on mud is not fun.

10. It sounds like a bit of a struggle to get there, but well worth it for the views. 🙂 Like you, I think I wouldn’t be choosing that route to the top again…

My usual route is much more simple, just a track up the hill. No boulders to get around, no rocks to climb, just a stile at the roadside and not even that steep. But it is very muddy at the moment.

1. That sounds very much more like my cup of tea. 🙂 Mud is not ideal either, but better than scrambling over boulders! 😉