Cornish favourites: Trebah Garden

The Helford River is a large estuary that nestles snugly between the western edge of Falmouth Bay and eastern side of The Lizard Peninsula. It is largely left to itself, being not the easiest place to reach other than by boat. Many of the roads in the area are no better than single track lanes, forcing drivers to drive slowly. Frequently, the trees form a shady arch right over the road, enhancing the charm of the area. Its forested creeks, sheltered valleys and rolling hills with Cornish gardens tumbling down to the river and pretty villages are often hidden away and it is very easy to get lost! But there are many delightful pubs awaiting you with good food on offer.

Last February I visited the Trebah Gardens on the Helford and I posted about it on my flower and garden blog so some of you reading this may well have seen this post before. As suggested by one of my readers, I am going to copy the first part of the post and then link to the original so you can go there to finish reading about the garden. I have discovered that although you can copy and paste text and individual photos, the process does not work for photos in a gallery. And I use a lot of galleries in my posts. Please tell me in the comments if this way of ‘reblogging a post works for you or not.

As the weather hasn’t been too bad recently I took the opportunity in early February to drive the 30 miles or so to the Helford river and pay a visit to Trebah gardens. Many of the Cornish gardens (and this is classed as one of the greats) are famous for their spring planting so I was interested to see what they had to show during the winter months. The colour is not always in the form of a flower – this month highlights the various tones and hues of brown, green, grey.

Davidia Walk

The Lawn Path
The Lawn Path

Sub-tropical succulents still provide colour and form above the Lawn Path.

View Original post: March 2017

1. Su Leslie says:

Definitely a post worth revisiting. Your photos are lovely and the garden looks like a fabulous place to spend an afternoon. I haven’t reblogged much, so don’t have much experience with WP’s vagaries in that dept. I’m happy to click between posts to see/read something if it looks interesting enough to commit to. For me (and I suspect many of us) making time to do justice to the blogs I follow is the real issue.

I don’t normally reblog either, but I want to get all my Cornish posts under one roof πŸ™‚ I have a cap on the blogs I follow so I can make a proper visit, but the cap has more than doubled since I set it! Fortunately not everyone is a prolific poster and some seem to have given up altogether. So many good blogs out there though it’s hard to limit them.

1. Su Leslie says:

I know the feeling. I like your idea of bringing all the Cornish posts together πŸ˜€

Linking to the original is fine with me, and I enjoy following the link to see the posts I don’t follow.
    The succulents are a real treat there. I have always liked them, (and cacti) and managed to grow some varieties in an enclosed patio garden, when I lived in Surrey Docks.

Succulents are interesting plants to grow as there are so many different varieties and sizes. I will get more for my patio this year, but none as big as some of the ones in this garden!

3. Ruth says:

Love the place names. They sound like poetry to me. Your photos make me want to hop on a plane and walk there in person. I knit a little cactus this past week. Easy care (zero care) succulent.

Yes, no need to bring your cactus indoors in the winter months πŸ™‚

No need to ask if the weather’s comparable this February, Jude. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ In general i’m not fond of the reblog because it’s a stop/start process but I understand why you’re doing so. I remember being very taken with this garden when you first published it. I don’t envy Becky up in the hills today because it’s cloudy here as well as distinctly cool. Back to temperate for the weekend and Carnival, I understand. πŸ™‚

If it perks up to be warm enough to hold a camera without my fingers getting frostbite I shall make another visit here. I love this garden, but it is not NT so I have to pay to enter. Still plenty of days left in February πŸ™‚

That’s very true. I’m still scheming. πŸ™‚ And the sun’s just come out so that may put paid to my proposed post writing.

Have you seen / heard anything from Meg recently? She appears to have gone AWOL.

I was just thinking earlier I’d email her. Thanks for reminding me. I know she had major plumbing issues at home but not sure beyond that.

Let me know. She should join our WhatsApp group. It’s a great way to keep in touch.

Asked her to give you a nudge on the blog as I’m ‘offline’. I’ve suggested WhatsApp before. πŸ™‚

5. The link worked well for me and I enjoyed revisiting that beautiful garden. I commented last time on the hydrangeas – so pretty as they fade.

And I never did get back to photograph the hydrangeas in the summer! one thing about re-reading the posts is finding the people who used to comment and who don’t now. Some I have reconnected with, but others have vanished entirely.

6. Anabel Marsh says:

I find I liked it before (and I still do!)

It is a lovely garden. One of my favourites.

7. pommepal says:

I like the re-blog Jude and I will go over to read the original as I seem to have missed so many of your beautiful garden strolls. Also I was pleased to learn from you that you can copy and paste from your other blog without using up data, very handy I have used it with some of the photos from Gypsylife to my new blog. Now to go over for a gardening fix…

You can add media using the URL from another blog too. I am going to do that on my travel blog.

8. Nidhi says: