And now the year is over…

Another year in Cornwall comes to an end. It has been an unusual year with family illnesses, a redundancy and visits from all the grandchildren, including the three who live in Australia. We didn’t quite manage to get them all together at the same time, but 6 out of 7 wasn’t bad. Spring was a bit of a washout and I managed to miss out on visiting the Cornish gardens famous for the camellia, magnolia and rhododendrons, but a week in south Devon at the end of spring made up for that and my tulips were magnificent. Mid-summer saw me in Doncaster for a month with my middle son in hospital. Who knew how much daily hospital visiting tires you out. He accompanied me back to Cornwall in August to recuperate with the fresh Cornish air and home cooking. His sister and family came down to see him in August and September, then his younger brother, wife and daughter along with the ‘Aussies’ (eldest son and his family) in September. Beaches were visited, coastal paths were trod, family lunches shared, pasties, fish and chips and ice-creams bought, seas paddled in (with and without wellies), rocks climbed and lots of salty kisses and sandy toes and smudges on the window panes…

When everyone had gone home, including the invalid, life in Cornwall slowed down and felt a little flat for a while until we renewed our pledge to go out once a week for a walk and have lunch somewhere, and we also incorporated a daily stroll close to home to try avoid last year’s joint stiffness. The autumn sunsets continued to give much pleasure whenever the clouds allowed and the starlings and garden birds returned. December was filled with the usual consumer madness with every town and village seemingly holding a Christmas Market or some event but I did pop over to the Eden Project for their Light and Sound Show, even though a round trip of almost 100 miles in the winter darkness and Cornish mizzle is not something I relish. Christmas lunch at Trevaskis farm was followed by an evening in Heligan’s Lost Garden for an illuminated stroll celebrating the winter solstice before we relaxed in front of the fire for a very quiet Christmas at home.

I will leave you with yet another photo of my new muse this year, the delightful and photogenic Godrevy Lighthouse – inspiration for Virginia Woolfe in her book “To the Lighthouse” and for many of myΒ  photos published on this blog this year.

Godrevy Lighthouse and the north coast from Porthmeor Beach, St Ives

Will I have a new muse in 2018? Well you’ll just have to follow me and find out πŸ˜€

Daily Post Photo Challenge | Favourites

1. You’ve had a busy and emotion-laden year, Jude. Best of all you’ve shared some beautiful images of Cornwall with us. Happy New Year to you and your family. Looking forward to seeing more lovely photos in 2018.

Thanks Carol. I can do without the drama that’s for sure. Wishing you and yours a happy 2018 too xx

I’ll be here! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ ‘Driving the car’ is absolutely adorable and the little curly top reminds me very much of Lisa at the same age. I can’t comment on individual photos again, which is very annoying, because there are some lovely shots here, Jude. Smeaton’s Pier looks lovely and thank you for the Header and light show shots. How far is Heligan from you? I have absolutely no idea of distance.
    Anyway, trauma all wrapped up, for now, we start again, don’t we? πŸ™‚ Wishing you and David many simple pleasures this year. Hope we can manage to meet. And get that foot fixed! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Happy 2018!

Haha… they had me in stitches driving the car! Funny how quickly they copy each other – first time these cousins have met and there is about a year between each of them. Heligan is like the Eden Project, about an hour’s drive – not so bad in daylight, but a bit trickier in the dark. Looking forward to the new year, and more fitness hopefully, and yes, it would be
      nice to meet up before you go swanning abroad. Happy 2018 to you and your family too xx

Thanks Jude! Hope you got your Christmas cake. I had to substitute Polish sernik -a kind of cheesecake xx

Cheesecake is good. I like cheesecake.

Polish style is somewhat different but lovely. I’d better go and take a photo while there’s some left xx

What do you mean? A photo? What about a doggy bag – I can give you my address πŸ˜€

Too late! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Thought as much 😦

You’ll just have to take my word for it, and I’ll have to go and see if I can find Christmas cake on sale in Aldi tomorrow. πŸ™‚

I’m off to find one tomorrow too! Still awfully windy here… seems to have been windy for a fortnight now!

The next ‘depression’ is coming through. We’ll all be depressed by the end of January πŸ™‚ Some more than others- 25 days to go!

3. pommepal says:

What a year you have had and I am so pleased to be back and sharing the end part of it with you. I am just reading Bill Bryson “the road to little dribbling” I love his dry sense of humour and I am just in Cornwall with him and he has just discovered Heligan. Makes me doubly wanting to visit after following your posts. 2018 is only 5 hours away for me as I read your posts Jude. I wonder what 2018 has in store for us all. Best wishes for health and happiness to you and your family.

The OH bought me that book for Christmas a couple of years ago. BB is very funny. I hope 2018 is a better year for the world, but things feel very turbulent at the moment. I wish you and Jack and all your family a good year ahead and I am very happy to see you back in the blogosphere xx

1. pommepal says:

I’ve read most of his books and carried his “Downunder” around Australia when I “did it” on the Greyhound buses back in 2005. It made good reading as the bus trundled along. I wish you health ahd happiness for all your family, and hope the foot is getting better.

It certainly was a hell of a year, and we also finished it with a redundancy. (For Julie)
    Your photos and essays of that new life in Cornwall provided a visual escape for me on many occasions, and I look forward to seeing what 2018 has to offer through your lens.

Sorry to hear that Pete, but at least you can both go forward together and leave that craziness behind.

Thanks, Jude. She got another job, starting on the 8th of January! x

Well that IS a positive start to the year. I hope all goes well πŸ™‚

What a rollercoaster year, Jude….but it seems to be calming down, so hopefully 2018 will be kinder to you. Looking forward to seeing next year’s images of Cornwall! So, here’s to a happy, healthy 2018 😊

Well, if I can get this darn foot sorted I hopefully will do a lot more walking. And I have a mission to visit all the Great Gardens, so fingers crossed xx

I hope you succeed with both, Jude! πŸ’•

6. Tish Farrell says:

These photos are wonderful, Jude – a triumph over anguish and upheaval. Well done all round! And all the very best to you and David for the coming year.

Thanks Tish, I am very thankful that we are all still here at the end of the year. It was looking doubtful at one point. And it has been a joy sharing Shropshire with you this year, may there be many more wonderful photos ahead xx

7. Pit says:

A Happy 2018 to you, especially in good health,
    Pit

Good health would be good Pit, been too many aches and pains in 2017. But I’m not getting any younger!

8. So sorry to hear about the troubles you experienced. My best wishes for a happy and healthy 2018. πŸ™‚ It was a pleasure to find your blog. πŸ™‚

It’s a pleasure to have you visit Lynette, hope you enjoy the photos this year too πŸ™‚

9. Anabel Marsh says:

Oh, I’ll still be following! I hope this coming year is happy and healthy for you and all your family.

Thanks Anabel. I certainly hope so!

10. Elizabeth says:

I didn’t realize that was THE lighthouse from β€œTo the Lighthouse.” Thanks for adding that note. Happy New Year.

And you Elizabeth, let’s hope it is a better one than 2017.

1. Elizabeth says: