Garden View: under an autumn sky

October was a mixed bag of weather. Warm and sunny at first, followed by a couple of big storms and then days of dullness. When the sun finally reappeared we grabbed the chance to head off to Lanhydrock House and Gardens near Bodmin. On approaching our destination we were beginning to regret our choice as ominous clouds gathered on the horizon. In contrast the sky over the north coast were very blue. However I was desperate to see trees and autumn colour and we wouldn’t find that near the coast.

The Gatehouse (1651) used as a hunting lodge, porter’s lodge and even a Sunday School

We were lucky. As we approached the gardens the dark clouds moved away and we were blessed with warm sunshine.  In addition to a variety of colourful leaves there was still plenty of colour in the garden alongside the dramatic seed-heads of Helianthus, Rudbeckia and Monarda.

Lanhydrock is one of the famous ‘Great Gardens of Cornwall’ with a large collection of magnolias (120 varieties) and the formal parterre garden below with its box-edged flower beds and clipped yew trees is where you find tulips in springtime.

Now it provides a green foil to the bright colours of the trees in the background and shrubs in the borders.

Hydrangeas form a colourful passage through to the circular garden.

And the low afternoon light cast shadows and highlights on the Astilbe / False Goat’s Beard dying flowers.

A bench in the sun is perfectly positioned to take in the beauty of the circular garden with its deep herbaceous borders and mix of tropical and native plants, but we were aware that lunch was only served until 3 pm and time was ticking. At the back of the church more herbaceous borders line the meandering paths which lead you higher up the hillside to woodland walks, giving spectacular views of the striking trees, or back down to the stable yard containing the ubiquitous second-hand bookshop, restaurant, refreshment kiosk and toilets.

After a lovely lunch of Robartes Pie (containing layers of potato, cheese, and apple) we left the grounds to explore the house (there are 50 rooms to see so make sure you have enough time) and especially to revisit the 35 metre ‘Long Gallery’ with its superb plasterwork ceiling dating back to approximately 1640.

If you like a walk, long or short, then please visit Jo for her regular strolls in the UK and the Algarve and maybe you would like to join in too. She’s very welcoming.

1. What a wealth of colour, shape, pattern and texture… I adored this post! Your photos are just stupendous!

Thank you for your lovely comment. It is much appreciated.

2. BeckyB says:

Beautiful – particularly love the colours of the hyrangeas

I was surprised to see some still with colour.

1. BeckyB says:

So wonderful 😊

3. The autumn leaves are gorgeous. I can see why it’s considered one of the great gardens, and you were certainly blessed with glorious weather.

Quite a distance to go to see the autumn colours, but worth it as there was more in the garden than I expected. The weather was touch and go, thankfully it turned out really nice and even quite warm.

4. A Man Deep says:

beautiful clicks!

Worth risking the weather for such excellent colours, Jude. It’s an impressive place.
    (Do you think whoever clips those ornamental Yews could sort out my back hedge next year? 🙂 )

Haha… yes, you could do with someone like that. They could create a nice topiary hedge for you.

6. pommepal says:

That is just overwhelmingly beautiful Jude, I can understand it being a “great garden” What a lovely colourful time of the year to visit. I envy you all the gardens within a days visit. Wow 120 magnolias, I never realised there were so many. We used to have an open garden scheme when private gardens were open to the public, a different one every weekend. Sadly it is no longer operating.

There is still an open gardens scheme here NGS, but I didn’t make any gardens this year. Next year is earmarked for lots of garden visits!!

1. pommepal says:

I really miss having gardens to go and see. A lot of towns have the spring festival early September but then they are all on the same couple of weekends and the distance to visit limits me to only getting to a couple. I miss the open garden scheme

This is glorious, Jude! 50 rooms- heck, I’d need my feather duster. 🙂 🙂 The colours are lovely, aren’t they? I really like that first grouping with the little black flowers. What are they? Oh, you know how ignorant I am! But always very grateful for your lovely efforts. 🙂

Helianthus, Rudbeckia and Monarda seed-heads. We really enjoyed the garden as we weren’t expecting too much colour, other than the trees. I must visit here more often as I have never seen it in mid-summer and judging from what was in the herbaceous borders it must look quite stunning.

8. Not sure what you did previously but I love your photographs! You make each place seem so special and noteworty! Love the fall colours🍁🍂🍃

Thank you Vikki, that’s very nice of you to say that 🙂

9. Pit says:

It was “ages ago” 😉 when I was there, but I really enjoyed Cornish gardens.

There are some beauties!

10. Lucid Gypsy says:

There’s no doubt about it, Lanhydrock is a beautiful place!

Indeed. A shame it is quite a long way from here. Our nearest NT garden is closed during the winter months.