Siblyback Lake

The weather forecast wasn’t good, but my daughter and her family had come down to Cornwall for the weekend to meet up with her elder brother and his family who were over from Australia. Having spent the previous day on the beach we decided to head to Bodmin Moor and Siblyback Lake where there is a water activity centre. I thought the older grandchildren might enjoy doing some kayaking or SUP.

In the end we just walked the 4 miles around the lake. The weather was cloudy and rain threatened, but held off long enough for us to finish the walk and eat our picnic before we headed off in different directions.

A bench with a view – well if it wasn’t quite so cloudy!

The path leads around the lake close to the shoreline, meandering through a couple of woodland sections, some peaty bogs and puddled pathways. So much green.

The three-year old took turns to walk with his uncles and his grandmother (me) checking out the dens, the cows and the puddles.

Although the sky remained a resolute grey with clouds coming and going, the light was still good enough for some nice reflective photos and the surrounding fields and hills glowed in their greenery.

Reaching the dam wall meant we were more than half way around. There are some lovely picnic tables here which would have made a great place to stop and eat if we hadn’t left all the food in the cars.

Finally we reached the gate leading out onto the last leg of the walk, along the road back to the car park and café. Lorenzo was a little worried that I would be left behind as his mum held open the gate. As usual I was busy taking photographs.

Wait for me!

If you like a walk, long or short, then please visit Jo for her regular strolls in the UK and the Algarve and maybe you would like to join in too. She’s very welcoming.

1. 76sanfermo says:

Your photos are spectacular……

Oh, thank you Anna, that’s a lovely thing to say. Glad you enjoy them.

2. pommepal says:

What an interesting walk Jude and even better to share it with the family

I never even knew there was a lake on the moor. Nice and flat too so I shall take the OH there next spring and hope to see more of the views.

3. Su Leslie says:

The weather may not have been kind, but it looks like a great place for a family catch-up

It was a bit of a wild weekend, but good fun.

Great photos in dull weather, and a nice family memory too.
    I have been to Bodmin Moor many times, and never knew the lake was there!
    Best wishes, Pete.

Me neither Pete! I was looking for something different for the grandchildren when I came across this lake. There are a few more that I shall explore next year too. I like walking around a lake, it is usually flat terrain.

5. Lucid Gypsy says:

Wow this is lovely, a rare treat to see some of your family and the walk is great, Jo will be chuffed to bits!

A rare treat for ME to see some of my family Gilly 😉 Goodness knows when or if they’ll be over again.

6. It’s so green and beautiful. What a treat to share this with your family.

Definitely green!

1. Rain will do that. 🙂 We’ve had good spring rain and it makes such a difference. I went for a drive in the country last weekend and it was just beautiful. Although not quite as green and lush as your photos show.

I am lucky living here. We have the countryside AND the beaches on our doorstep. Although this is quite a long drive from home.

2. It’s a beautiful part of the country.

True. Much busier than I imagined though.

7. I think you meant dam wall…must have been a looonng walk! Love your photos! Also interesting to note that Ontario, Canada skies are the same grey this week too!

Oops! Yes indeed. Thanks for spotting the error, I have corrected it now. I think the skies are almost always grey over this part of Cornwall!

8. Lovely lovely post. Not often we see your family. There are some great phrases too: resolute grey, hills glowing in their green, puddled pathways. Only one thing missing – a photo of you in a den!

Haha… that den was so tiny even the little one struggled to get through.

9. Good to hear that the resolute weather didn’t deter your resolution to walk. Four miles makes for a good gallivant.

As long as it is flat I can walk for hours.

1. Right. Some of the recent uphill treks in the Canadian Rockies were a bit daunting.

Oh heck- I don’t think I’ll come back, Jude! Beautiful though your post is that grey is just not my colour 🙂 🙂 Thanks so much for sharing family and everything with me. I’m still having a rough ride with t’Internet (Probably my laptop is the bad guy!) so it’s hard to keep up. One more day with Lisa and then it’s all downhill. 😦

Ah, but you’d miss the lovely English countryside Jo if you were there all the time. Having the grey makes you appreciate the blue all the more 😀

Hmm! I haven’t missed it yet, and the smokey blue hills here are growing on me more and more. Grim reality is getting close. Took Lisa to the airport this evening. 😦

Not so grim surely? You have all the wonderful Christmas adverts to look forward to… o_O

And Lumiere this weekend 🙂 🙂 In 14 jumpers!

Ah, it’s not so cold really. All that Algarve sunshine is turning you into a soft southerner O_o