1. Anabel Marsh says:

For me, the inn is the focus in b&w. The dark, blocky pier takes over in colour. I like the b&w one better.

2. Prefer the B&W. It equalises everything in the photo.

Yes. I feel the colour ‘blobs’ interfere with the overall picture so you are right in that the B&W stops that.

3. mickzwo says:

I prefer the coloured version.

Any particular reason why?

1. mickzwo says:

Ja, in dem Fall geben die farbigen Akzente dem Bild Struktur. Ohne diese Struktur wäre das Photo nur grau. Das Drohende durch das Meer ist sowieso gegeben. Die Farbe macht die Situation meines Erachtens noch deutlicher. Sorry, my english is too bad. I can tell you that only in german 😦

OK. I think I get that (if the translator I used is correct) and thank you for explaining. I suppose the colour does give the photo structure.

I agree with Anabel. The pier takes over in colour.
    The B&W shot feels timeless, the colour one more modern. Despite the fact that both could have been taken ever since colour film was available. I would like more like this now and again.

If you exclude the TV aerial on the pub of course…

At least it’s not a satellite dish so we can pretend it is 1950!

The black and white does look as though it could have been taken 100 years ago. Nothing to draw your eye from the inn and the pier.

5. Colour always wins for me with coastal photos, the blue of the sky and the red of the lifebuoy bring the photo to life.

6. Paula says:

The one in colour makes me look at the horizon, in monochrome I focus on the foreground. This conversion really makes a difference. Very glad you could join me for the challenge, Jude. Thank you. I hope you’ll have a good week in spite of weather.

Thanks Paula, I love how your challenges actually challenge people. My favourite here is the black and white as it looks like something from a bygone age.

7. I love both versions of the photo, but for different reasons. I think that the small details stand out more clearly in the black and white photo. At the same time, the tone of the black and white photo seems more bleak – I didn’t get that same feeling from the color photo. One thing I thought was interesting was the bright red lifesaving ring in the color photo. The red color was so vivid, and it was one of the first things I noticed. In comparison, in the black and white version, it appears white – I didn’t even notice it at first. It is really interesting to see how different our perceptions are based on color. Thanks for this challenge, Jude!

1. You’ve said everything I wanted to say!!

Thank you for all you thoughts Susan, I appreciate the time taken to examine the photos. It was actually quite a bleak day – cold with a raw wind, so maybe the B&W is truer to the day!

8. Sue Slaght says:

The contrast is more prominent in the black and white but I’m for the colour every time. So warm and rich.

Colour seems to be winning 🙂

9. Lucid Gypsy says:

The black and white one is about the structures and composition for me, the colour one is about details. The waves, the man and the life belt thingy all stand out, even the ropes, so for one I prefer the colour, it makes me look longer!

Interesting how we all see things differently, you and others like those pops of colour whereas they irritate me and Sylvia on this occasion, but yes the colour version does hold more interest.