Just another (birth) day

Not the first one spent in Cornwall as we visited 3 years ago during October to continue our house hunt which was only partially successful. Yes we found a house we liked, yes we put in an offer that was successful, but the sellers gazumped us only a few days before completion by accepting a higher bid from someone else, who later reduced their offer to match ours. Bitter? Us? Well, maybe. A little.

Mousehole Harbour
Mousehole Harbour

Anyway we are here now although in a slightly different location and an altogether nicer house, and today decided to head over to the south coast for a celebratory lunch at the Old Coastguard Hotel in Mousehole (pronounced Mowzel) to celebrate not only my ahem! birthday, but also thirteen years of marriage. The really nice thing about living here is that there are so many lovely places with decent restaurants/pubs/cafΓ©s in which to eat that we are spoiled for choice. It had to be somewhere with a sea view though.

Mousehole Harbour
Mousehole Harbour

It has been a fair, but breezy day with a little hint of sunshine. A good day to blow away the cobwebs. It takes us about 15 minutes to nip over to this side of the peninsula, rather longer if we take a more scenic route over the west Penwith moorland, which we did on our return.

Mousehole Harbour
Mousehole Harbour

Apart from the menu, I had an ulterior motive for coming here. I wanted to scour the galleries for a piece of naive artwork. Not an original, but something to complement two other prints I have picked up over recent years in a similar style. One from Kirkcudbright and the other from Aberaeron. Only fitting to have one from this part of the world.

I didn’t go home disappointed. A colourful image of St Michael’s Mount now awaits a frame along with the other two. But I have a slight hankering over a couple more by the same artist.

The food didn’t disappoint either. Sitting snug and warm indoors with views over the garden where Cornish palms whipped to and fro in the wind and white-caps formed over the sea.

Plaice for ‘im with pistachio and fig tart to follow accompanied by orange and saffron ice-cream.

Pork loin for me with fennel, celeriac rosti and apple puree, followed by a chocolate delice and marmalade ice-cream.

A most satisfying day which ended with a delightful sunset. As Wallace and Gromit would say

A grand day out….

and now I am going to open the champagne…

…and Joanne, I haven’t forgotten either and I shall raise a glass to you!

1. Congratulations! And the views and food were great to enjoy from afar (Oregon, US)–thanks!

Glad you enjoyed them πŸ™‚

2. Why do we all marry close to our birthday???? It looks as if you had a great day: interesting to see you adding food photography to your repertoire. I love the sharp clarity of your photos of the boats. Only disappointment not seeing what you purchased. May you and ‘im have many more such celebrations.

Well in my case it was because I had just started the teacher training course and had no time off so we grabbed the first possible date! I don’t think I shall make a habit of food photography (other than market stalls) it felt a bit weird!

3. Chillbrook says:

Happy Birthday Jude. I love Mousehole, especially at Christmas! πŸ™‚

Mmm… yes. I am looking forward to seeing them.

4. Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary! Looking at your photos one has to wonder if there is anywhere in Cornwall which is not wonderfully photogenic. The celebratory meal looks very tasty indeed.

5. Lucid Gypsy says:

Happy belated birthday Jude, I’m so sorry I wasn’t here yesterday, I haven’t been about much. It looks like you had a lovely day and that food to die for. How fabulous to find a piece of art that you love as well x πŸ™‚ x

Thanks Gilly. Now I have to find a picture framer! Shouldn’t be TOO difficult down here, one would think!

6. Louise says:

Belated Wishes Jude … that does look like one a super celebratory meal !
    Love Mousehole .. I stalked seagulls on the sea wall on my last visit lol .

It was a little too breezy to go anywhere near the sea wall!

7. susurrus says:

Happy belated birthday! I love the three whales – the colours, textures and the humous. I try hard not to covet things, but if I did not…

Thanks Susan πŸ™‚