St Michael’s Mount

You will have seen photos of St Michael’s Mount before on Travel Words, but never like this.

( Please click to enlarge)

Sitting in Mount’s Bay (Cornish: Baya an Garrek) the island is cut off from the mainland twice a day by the tide. This was taken from a lay-by on the minor road, the B3311, running between Penzance and St Ives.

1. Ah, that brings back loads of memories from when I visited last time. I’d love to see it in the summer this time. I think Cornwall was covered in mizzle when last I was there 🙂

We have been living in a cloud the past couple of days! And lots of mizzle, but fortunately lots of sun too. We do inside stuff on the mizzle days and head out on the sunny days. Seems to work 🙂

1. Sounds like a good balance 🙂

2. What a glorious day you had for this photo. The landscape is beautiful.

The light is quite amazing around here.

3. joannesisco says:

It’s beautiful Jude. I’m still in awe of the whole *tides* thing and the fact that this island becomes *mainland* when the tides go out.

4. Pit says:

Walking to St. Michael’s mount and retuerning by boat was an experience!

The first time I went there I took a little boat across 🙂

5. Anabel Marsh says:

One of the places we visited on our Cornish holiday a couple of years ago. It was beautiful but not like this! A bit hazy. Experiencing Cornwall envy, I’d like to visit again.

Most of the times I have tried to photograph this from the beach I have not been happy with the results. Always hazy or the sun in the wrong direction.

1. Anabel Marsh says:

Perfect this time!

6. Gorgeous shot, Jude. We walked over and back again when we were in Cornwall almost three years ago. It’s a wondrous place to visit. 🙂

7. Lucid Gypsy says:

I’ve never seen that view, it looks little but beautiful under that sky 🙂

An unexpected sighting on the road back from a garden with no where to pull up motivated me to make a stop at the lay-by. I have driven past on many occasions but never stopped!

Many happy memories of that Mount. That western light is rewarding you greatly. I am -sort-of- jealous!
    Regards as always, Pete. x

You have BIG skies in Norfolk too Pete, though I must admit the light down here is quite unique.

Big skies perhaps, Jude. But the light is mainly from the east, until the approach of sunset. Down there, you benefit from southern light, then get the best from the west! x

9. This is a great photo. I’ve not managed to visit St Michael’s Mount yet, but have driven past (at a lower level) on several occasions. One day I’ll get there!

Take me with you! xx