1. Lucid Gypsy says:

They are simply lovely flowers, especially when there’s enough to make an cobalt carpet in the woods.

Darn difficult to photograph though! I hope this cold wind disappears soon as there is another place I want to visit to see them.

1. Lucid Gypsy says:

I’m off today and so far there’s been wind, rain, hail and glorious sunshine and I’ve got the heat on! I posted on my favourite bluebell spot two years ago, it’s an ancient hill fort called Blackbury Camp in east Devon.

No rain here since early morning, but still very windy! I hope the sun shines for us this weekend (not that weekends matter much to me now I don’t work) so I can get some work done outside!

2. They’re so pretty and…. blue.

3. joannesisco says:

I agree, Jude. The blue carpet of early spring is a beautiful sight after months of greyness.
    … and their magnificence is pretty hard to capture in a photo! I love your close-ups!

I went the close-up route because I wasn’t happy with the carpet shots, even though I got really close to the ground. My knees hurt so much afterwards that I think I am going to have to start shooting landscapes!

1. joannesisco says:

I’ve tried several times to photograph bluebells and the lushness that I can see just doesn’t translate to the photograph 😦

4. How beautiful. I’ve only seen bluebells once, in the Blue Mountains. Lucky you to have them so close to home.

I remember as a child picking bluebells in the woods near where I lived. of course that is probably frowned upon now.

5. Lynn says:

Your bluebells remind me the beauty of our trilliums in the spring, laying a gorgeous carpet of colour. So lovely Jude!

That must be quite a sight too.

1. Lynn says:

It is Jude. Heading to the cottage for girls weekend in 2 weeks. Hoping they will be out in full bloom!

Then you must take some photos to show us 🙂

2. Lynn says:

Will do!

They are beautiful aren’t they? I managed a morning in the woods at Durham last weekend and they were just opening xx

I hope to see some more this weekend. Probably best to keep away from the coast 🙂

7. Beautiful – flowers and photos! I had no idea that we had 40% of the world’s bluebells here, so I will look at them with more respect now.

But our native bluebells are being invaded by the Spanish ones – see here for the difference

1. I was reading about that just last week, and meant to include mention in my post of the fact that the bluebells I saw are the native ones rather than the invaders. We have bluebells in our garden, but of course they are the Spanish ones, so I am thinking I should dig them up!

8. Beautywhizz says:

Gorgeous. The bluebell wood is a beautiful sight.

9. pommepal says:

You’ve made my day with these gorgeous photos of a tiny blue flower that I never see over here. Thanks for sharing them Jude.

10. Sue Slaght says:

Jude it appears you have moved to a magical land. Wow these photos make we want to sing, well that would likely not be happy for any nearby listeners, but still the images inspire me.

I think we Brits always look forward to seeing the bluebells – a sign that summer is on its way. Though you wouldn’t think so this year with frost and snow in a lot of the country (not here I am glad to say).